Can not get smooth playback

Redleader

2[H]4U
Im having problems with my HTPC in that I can not get it to play smoothly. Such as a scene where the camera slowly pans over a city you can see the stuttering across the screen every few seconds or so. I have tried MPC, MPC-HC, and Media Portal with many different codecs including FFDShow, CoreAVC, with and without Haali Media Splitter. Running CoreAVC with and without CUDA same results. Im running the one in my sig with Windows 7 32bit. Im just looking for more stuff to try.

You can't get WHAT exactly to play smoothly? What type of file..etc.?

what does your CPU/RAM usage look like when you're attempting playback?

what does your CPU/RAM usage look like when you're attempting playback?

Im getting 30-50% usage on both cpu cores and 30-35% usage on gpu. Im about to do a fresh install and start over with this and try those new codecs.

yes, does not sound like a hardware related issue. i suggest you look at w1retaps guide for HD playback, here in the HTPC section

What framerate is the video and what refresh rate do you have your display at?

If it's an actual stutter and not the illusion of one caused by a refresh rate thats not divisible evenly by the video's framerate, you should be able to see a sharp spike in the red or green line in the graph in MPC-HC when you hit Ctrl+J (assuming you're using the proper renderer and have the latest DirectX runtime installed).

Example:
20f72c7.jpg

w1retaps guide is great...but you don't need to do all that to get proper playback along with all the other software. Also..it works with little to no configuration.

I would also not use the bloaty My Movies for metadata as well. You only need metabrowser.

Alot has changed since his guide.

Follow the link in the guide that I sent you, you'll be fine.

Well after a fresh install of Windows 7 I installed only MPC-HC and started it up to see and the problem is gone for now. I think I might not install any codecs and just leave it at this for now unless I run into an issue. Thanks for the help guys.

Back