Can my pc stand vista rc1?

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
Specs are in my sig. I do some encoding and decoding, I'm on firefox a lot, play a lot of cs, cz, css, hl2 etc. I have Vista RC1 with 2 product keys but I havent used them since I'm scared that vista will F up my pc. I don't want to install it and then have 900mb of ram used on just system or sumthing when I only have 1gig. Plz help. I want to try vista and am satisfied with xp pro but willing to give it up if i can get vista almost stable.

I don't know if it will help or not, but I was able to run vista beta 2 on my comp. with little or no trouble at all. (specs below)... I just finished downloading vista rc1 and will be running that soon. IMO, you shouldn't have a problem.. :)

Once Vista is finalized and all the code is optimized (along with real, final drivers) it will run fine on your system.

Install Vista on another partition and dual boot it to try it out. If you don't like it, just delete it.

At worst you'll have to do a fixboot and fixmbr from a recovery console to get rid of the Vista boot menu.

If this is your only computer, and you want it to be reliable, then don't use beta software as your main OS. Dual boot, or just keep using XP.

alik4041 said:
Specs are in my sig. I do some encoding and decoding, I'm on firefox a lot, play a lot of cs, cz, css, hl2 etc. I have Vista RC1 with 2 product keys but I havent used them since I'm scared that vista will F up my pc. I don't want to install it and then have 900mb of ram used on just system or sumthing when I only have 1gig. Plz help. I want to try vista and am satisfied with xp pro but willing to give it up if i can get vista almost stable.

vista will run even on this specs, see pic,
dvcemgr.jpg

Visit the Vista website,and download a copy of Viasta upgrade advisor. It will scan your pc,and tell you if there are any devices that are incompatible. I couldn't install on my K8NGM2-FID MSI, but it installed perfect on a K7NG2-L XP2600 barton rig. I'm thinking of just buying a real decent video card, and using that rig to beta Vistas. Lots of no install posts over at Tech net. By your specs, you shouldn't have much trouble, but I advise a seperate harddrive for testing ,as t will most likely pork your XP image,like it did mine tonight. Seems it want the C position for itself,much as XP did when it was new. If you do decide to try ir,BACK UP YOUR FILES FIRST, or ghost an image you can restote from. I was able to do a Repair,but I had to do the phone thing,to reactivate my copy of XP.Note that Vista is a bigger memory pig than XP,and 1 gig is minimum to use the goodies,as well as a strong video card which you have.

I have read ppl on forums saying that even though they had an x6800 vista was still going a bit slow and laggy

alik4041 said:
I have read ppl on forums saying that even though they had an x6800 vista was still going a bit slow and laggy
Vista isn't laggy on my Sempron. Beta2 was pretty bad, even with 1GB. RC1 runs much, much better. I've even run it a couple of days with only 512MB and it's not too different than XP with the same amount of memory.

pxc said:
Vista isn't laggy on my Sempron. Beta2 was pretty bad, even with 1GB. RC1 runs much, much better. I've even run it a couple of days with only 512MB and it's not too different than XP with the same amount of memory.
I'm trusting you on your word :p I'm upgrading to vista rc1. If it's as good as everyone sayz. Should i? or does anyone think otherwise. As I stated, I do some encoding, decoding, play a lot of steam games, hl2, cs 1.6 etc.

IM using some shit specs right now imo at least for a modern box, with ageforce fx5200, and 512 mb of ram. ITs running awesome for me so far. Remember the os isnt done, drivers arent tweaked yet etc., but right now img etting better performance from vista than xp.

Ok well I just installed Vista (dual boot with xp :D). It's great except for one thing. 10 minutes later after vista was working I realized I haven't heard a sound from it! Here is my device manager:
http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=devicemanager1sa8.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=devicemanager2pw5.jpg

It only detects my onboard Realtek 97. Not my Audigy LS. I don't want to change the PCI slot because I tried that one time when I had another problem with XP and it the sound for XP wouldnt work. So if I change the PCI slot, then when I go back to XP, the sound wont work believe it or not. Also I don't know if AERO is activated on my pc. This is a SS of my score if it makes a difference:
http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scoreac4.jpg

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: Fixed the Sound Blaster problem, went on creative website and downloaded vista drivers. The program on the cd does not support vista for the way it checks if hardware is currently in the pc is faulty concerning vista.

I'm also thinking of dual booting with XP Pro. Someone mentioned that there may be a problem with Vista every time you switch back from XP. Have you noticed anything weird?

beta 2 ran perfect on my system, Only problems for me was software incompatibility with sound drivers, and some other small problems that made me mad.

Btw...My friend has a geforce 5200 and 512mb ram and he ran vista fine, he told me it was slow though. :)

I'm running it on my laptop - pentium m 1.7, 512mb ram, mobility radeon 9700 (128mb) - and it has run pretty smooth with every setting I've tried so far (though I haven't gotten into aero and the 3d gui stuff too much, but what little i have has been fine).

alik4041 said:
Ok well I just installed Vista (dual boot with xp :D). It's great except for one thing. 10 minutes later after vista was working I realized I haven't heard a sound from it! Here is my device manager:

It only detects my onboard Realtek 97. Not my Audigy LS. I don't want to change the PCI slot because I tried that one time when I had another problem with XP and it the sound for XP wouldnt work. So if I change the PCI slot, then when I go back to XP, the sound wont work believe it or not. Also I don't know if AERO is activated on my pc. This is a SS of my score if it makes a difference:

EDIT: Fixed the Sound Blaster problem, went on creative website and downloaded vista drivers. The program on the cd does not support vista for the way it checks if hardware is currently in the pc is faulty concerning vista.

I had the same issue with my drivers but its up and running now after installing the ones from creatives website. The installation of the driver itself crashed but works! Ill take that just fine.

Your score is good, although my processor scored higher than yours. Ill be upgrading my ram and video card in a few months and will hopefuly have a much higher score than currently.

Dennis Gordon said:
I'm also thinking of dual booting with XP Pro. Someone mentioned that there may be a problem with Vista every time you switch back from XP. Have you noticed anything weird?
Nothing at all. Acts just normal, and no loss in speed. I used partionmagic from norton. Worth every penny. PM ME if you need it.

bluesteel said:
I had the same issue with my drivers but its up and running now after installing the ones from creatives website. The installation of the driver itself crashed but works! Ill take that just fine.

Your score is good, although my processor scored higher than yours. Ill be upgrading my ram and video card in a few months and will hopefuly have a much higher score than currently.

Actually I was reading online and saw an article that states how vista scores, and it gives u a 5.9 if your running dual core. 5.9 is the highest i think.

alik4041 said:

if you dont see glass like border on a page , aero not active

gtjr_ph said:
if you dont see glass like border on a page , aero not active
when i put transperency lever all the way to the left i can see throught the window border. Not the middle though.

My computer just pukes it out...I think it might qualify as a "viral infection"

Back