Can my PC simply not overclock?

Fel

Limp Gawd
I just built my 8800GT stock heatsink, e4500, msi neo combo, 2gb skill.

On my CPU, in the bios, the FSB is locked.. as in i can't change it.(dont know if im doing it wrong or what..)

I downloaded Dual Core Center, increased my FSB by 10Mhz, and my system automatically locked up and made a HORRIBLE screeching noise, restarted and it was fine.

On my GPU, i go into ATitools and choose "find highest memory clock", it raises it and my GPU locks up and i have to hard restart.(though it did increase it to 2200MHz.. from a stock of 1800..)

Last time i checked i do have fail-safe enabled.. could that do it?

Temps for CPU are at 24c, GPU, 50c.

Make sure you're using the latest BIOS. If that doesn't let you adjust the FSB, try using Clockgen to change it in Windows. Also, try using Rivatuner to overclock your video card.

Uhh.. you mean by the latest BIOS to flash it? No thanks. I would rather not risk damaging my system for a silly overclock. Did you not hear me that i said when i overclocked my system would lock up? I cant OC period.

@ chrispycrunch
msi neo combo

Uhh.. you mean by the latest BIOS to flash it? No thanks. I would rather not risk damaging my system for a silly overclock. Did you not hear me that i said when i overclocked my system would lock up? I cant OC period.

@ chrispycrunch

no, you just dont know what the hell your doing.

do what he said, flash to the latest bios if you want to overclock.

On many occasions new BIOSes have fixed overclocking issues. It's a fair possibility that updating the BIOS might actually allow you to overclock, since there's no logical reason why you wouldn't be able to aside from a BIOS issue. Plus, nowadays updating the BIOS is a fairly painless process. Hell, I've done it on tons of older boards and I've never killed a single one. I suggested you try Clockgen to overclock as well, since it's also possible that the program you tried that caused your system to lock up just doesn't play well with your PC.

Also, as a previous poster asked, what PSU are you using? That may also have an effect.

Don't know anything about MSI boards but maybe you have everything BIOS on Auto so that's the reason you can't raise your FSB?

Yeah, i just set the bios to optimized defaults.. what should i change?

Nah dont see one.

Wow, i chose 5% auto overclock, ran crysis, same if not worse performance, then ran the stress test and had Dual Core Center on the side to monitor FSB changes.. guess what.. nothing.

No offence but you're tottally off on your OCing. You're letting the Mobo decide your overclock. Your PSU might be on the weak side..500W would be better for such a nice video card.

Read this. It's not your board but read it.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

FLASHing bios won't damage your pc. Turning it off during flashing it will!!!

Good luck.

hey dude u obviously need to read more before actually attempting to do something that might destroy your PC.

Kid, unless you have something constructive to post, don't post anything at all.

I have read enough and asked enough people.

Now i am wanting to find out why my PC will not overclock.

Some of you have recommended i update my BIOS, i am willing to do that. Will i have to find a floppy drive in order to do this?

@chrispy

I am satisfied with my GPU's speeds, i just want to close the bottleneck gap as much as possible with my CPU.

I assume your motherboard is the MSI P35 Neo Combo? If so http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/460/8 review seems to indicate your FSB can be raised from 200 - 500 MHz. I believe this was on a board running bios v1.0 so whilst updating may help you it may not be the root of your problem.
If this isn't your board however please ignore everthing I have just said!

Yes, it is the MSI p35 neo combo, and yes, it does say it can go from 200 to 500(it sais so in the notice bar when i highlight the FSB overclock option.)

Only problem is there is no way for me to select if i want to raise it.. its just there.

Kid, unless you have something constructive to post, don't post anything at all.

Some of you have recommended i update my BIOS, i am willing to do that. Will i have to find a floppy drive in order to do this?

@chrispy

I am satisfied with my GPU's speeds, i just want to close the bottleneck gap as much as possible with my CPU.

Obviously you haven't read enough if you don't even know the ways to flash your BIOS. So stop jumping on everyones back when your the one that really does need to sit down and read a lot more then just glimpsing at some random OC threads.

If you don't know your way around BIOS enough to be able to change some of the stuff you want to change, let alone know how to flash it, don't touch anything. Save you money and headache in the long run.

@chrispy

Who are you calling "Kid"?

You obviously haven't read enough, because you obviously have no idea what you're doing. If you had read enough, you would know, individually, what the maximum FSB your board can support is, the maximum frequency your CPU can support, and the maximum frequency your RAM can support.

Heading into the BIOS and selecting "5% overclock" because you don't know how or why to adjust any of the individual settings means, *by definition*, you haven't read enough. Refusing to flash your BIOS because you're scared means that you haven't read enough.

I'm quite certain people here would be more than happy to help you, hold your hand, and point you in the right direction - but not if you act like an arrogant know-it-all and insult them.

Yes, it is the MSI p35 neo combo, and yes, it does say it can go from 200 to 500(it sais so in the notice bar when i highlight the FSB overclock option.)

Only problem is there is no way for me to select if i want to raise it.. its just there.

You might have to enable the option to be able to change the FSB, or perhaps use advanced options. Most (all?) motherboards use default chip settings, so you'll have to enable the option that lets you change it. On my mother board, for example, I have to enable CPU Host Clock Control.

I was able to flash my bios with a program called WinFlash provided from my motherboard manufacturer. I did it right in windows like any other program, no need for a floppy. Check MSIs web site for your boards bios and utilties and read up on everything.

I just got an open box MSI P35 Neo Combo last night and I can understand the confusion this BIOS causes. Reviews on Newegg say you can't change settings and now OP says the same thing. Numbers are indeed grayed out, but you can still change them. Just move the cursor to the applicable number and type another one in. Voltages work the same way but I believe I used Page Up and Page Down to change them like other boards. I'm not sure why MSI decided to alter the "grayed out" convention, but they have.

We have the P35 Neo Combo, not the Neo 2 and I can tell you without a doubt that I typed in my FSB last night and it worked fine.

Back