• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can LCD pixels die after manufacturing?

Kevin Lowe

Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
766
I know LCDs come with dead pixels from the manufacturing process, but do they also fail out during usage? I have a 710T that I checked top-to-bottom for dead pixels, finding none, but now after a couple weeks of usage I have a dead green subpixel.

I suppose I shouldn't complain about one dead subpixel, but does this happen after a panel is in use, or do dead pixels occur strictly at manufacturing time? Also, is there a way to "unstick" a previously working pixel? (I tried massaging it, but I didn't want to push too hard.)
 
First off. Do not "massage" the screen. You are more than likely going to break something more than fix it ;)

If it moves. It has a possibility of breaking. With the pixels switching off and on at a given frequency. It can become energized that the electrical signal will not affect the pixel. Hence it sticks on or off. This is the nature of LCD and CAN (meaning there is a possibility albiet small) happen throughout the lifetime of the monitor.
 
I had one go out on an Envision from Staples... really unhappy with the way it came up with one intermittent red pixel but then went away for good. Now there is a very light line going down the center, hardly noticable. It is under warranty... but I have to send it off... going to get the extended warranty next time... they then do swap out for those at my local Staples.

The answer to your question, yes they can go bad. If more and more start to go out... your ship is sinking and save up some $ for a new one. If it is just one... it may just continue working for a long time.
 
Back
Top