Can it be done?

Think

Weaksauce
nVidia 7950GT + ATi X700, in one system.

I got a free x700 from a friend, and I'm wondering if I can install the gfx card in my SLI motherboard (Asus P5N-E SLI, nVidia 650i chipset) and use both cards independently of one another. My reasoning is that I'd like to be able to watch smooth DVD playback on one of my screens while playing a video game on another: With only the 7950GT installed and running both monitors off of that card, I get tearing in World of Warcraft while playing a DVD on my secondary screen.

My question is, can it be done? I'm not sure the consequences of such a setup, and I don't want to blow up my Windows install with driver overlaps, much less my computer.

Does anyone have any links to or data on similar operations?

Never tried it, but I have heard, more than once that it won't work due to driver conflicts, which honestly makes perfect sense to me. The only time I have heard of ATI and nVidia gpu's working in the same system is when one is on-board and the other is an expansion.

Thank you for the swift response.

I went ahead and installed the card in the system. Windows detects the card, but not properly; I have switched the board to dual-card mode and tried it in single-card mode, same result every time. I think for caution's sake I'm going to pull the card and just look at other solutions.

Perhaps a hardware decoder would solve it.

I once had an AGP 5900 (or something close) working with a PCI Radeon 9200. It worked, but I would get some random reboots. Gaming would only run on the monitor connected to the Nvidia card, but 2D worked fairly normally. It was only moderately stable at best.

I read that it should work.... I think I remember it saying that you need to install the primary card's drivers first and then install the secondary card's drivers. It was on [H] just recently...

Back