Can iPad Burns DVD?

mewa

n00b
Dear all,

Is it technically possible to connect a (USB) DVD burner to iPad?

Working on a packing list before going abroad for extended period, and realized that I would have to keep dumping data off the ipad.

I used to do this with a laptop, encrypt the files and mail home or relatives. But I really prefer not to lug around the 5 pound beast around this time. And pardon me for asking, is there a tablet out there can connect USB devices?

No. You should get a small laptop to take with you. I'd consider a netbook with a 1TB HDD put in it.

Maybe something like this would work?
Samsung Optical Smart Hub
It's basically a wireless router with a DVD burner and support for USB storage devices. There's apparently an iOS app that lets iPads and iPhones talk to it.

Dear all,

Working on a packing list before going abroad for extended period, and realized that I would have to keep dumping data off the ipad.

I used to do this with a laptop, encrypt the files and mail home or relatives. But I really prefer not to lug around the 5 pound beast around this time. And pardon me for asking, is there a tablet out there can connect USB devices?

This is why one would get a Windows 8 x86 tablet. Even the lowest end and cheapest Clover Trail Atom tablets can burn DVDs with an external USB drive and work with numerous USB devices.

This is why one would get a Windows 8 x86 tablet. Even the lowest end and cheapest Clover Trail Atom tablets can burn DVDs with an external USB drive and work with numerous USB devices.

One would buy a tablet to interact with media that cannot be used with it? I think you're missing the point of the tablet form factor.

One would buy a tablet to interact with media that cannot be used with it? I think you're missing the point of the tablet form factor.

A Windows 8 tablet can interact perfectly with optical media using an external USB drive however. The external drive doesn't of course have to always be attached like any other accessory, such as external keyboards which are popular peripherals for iPads but that can be left behind when not needed.

A Windows 8 tablet can interact perfectly with optical media using an external USB drive however. The external drive doesn't of course have to always be attached like any other accessory, such as external keyboards which are popular peripherals for iPads but that can be left behind when not needed.

Yes, I'm aware of that functionality. The point is that it's unnecessary on the tablet form factor. If you're toting around a DVD burner with your tablet, you're doing it wrong; the necessary device in this scenario is a laptop, not a tablet.

Yes, I'm aware of that functionality. The point is that it's unnecessary on the tablet form factor. If you're toting around a DVD burner with your tablet, you're doing it wrong; the necessary device in this scenario is a laptop, not a tablet.

And having the ability to do it is bad? Fail.

With Windows 8, the lines between a laptop and a tablet are completely blurred. I understand some people don't like that but it is the case nonetheless. A Windows 8 tablet or hybrid functions as both a laptop and a tablet and indeed a lot of laptops these days don't even have an optical drives built in, devices like the MacBook Air for instance. If one just needs an optical drive on occasion, there's really no need to always have to carry around a laptop with the optical drive. Certainly you're not telling someone that wants a MacBook Air but would like to play or rip DVDs occasionally that they must buy something with a built in optical drive are you?

I see tons of people looking for ways to rip DVDs onto their tablets. With Windows 8 it can all be done on a single device and all that's needed is a cheap USB DVD drive and possibly some SD cards to preserve storage and add convenience.

With Windows 8, the lines between a laptop and a tablet are completely blurred.

No, they aren't. Tablets are hardware. They have a generally defined form. Installing an OS that is also meant to go on the desktop does not blur those lines; Microsoft's scattershot approach is not reflective of how tablets are built by third parties, or even by Microsoft itself. After all, the Surface does not have a DVD burner.

Take the advocacy elsewhere, please.

No, they aren't. Tablets are hardware. They have a generally defined form. Installing an OS that is also meant to go on the desktop does not blur those lines; Microsoft's scattershot approach is not reflective of how tablets are built by third parties, or even by Microsoft itself. After all, the Surface does not have a DVD burner.

Tablets are hardware, just like laptops and desktops. With Windows 8 they are can use the same external USB devices as people have always used with Windows. Some Windows 8 tablets are also turn hybrids that turn essentially into ultrabooks which isn't like the Surface Pro at all. But the Surface Pro like the MacBook Air the doesn't have an optical drive, that doesn't mean that you can't use an optical drive with an MBA or Surface Pro when needed.

Tablets are hardware, just like laptops and desktops. With Windows 8 they are can use the same external USB devices as people have always used with Windows. Some Windows 8 tablets are also turn hybrids that turn essentially into ultrabooks which isn't like the Surface Pro at all. But the Surface Pro like the MacBook Air the doesn't have an optical drive, that doesn't mean that you can't use an optical drive with an MBA or Surface Pro when needed.

No one carries around external DVD burners to use with their tablets. In fact, I have never seen in any public setting a tablet that is connected to anything except the occasional power socket in an airport terminal.

The functionality you describe indeed exists. However, it remains unused.

Stop, please.

No one carries around external DVD burners to use with their tablets. In fact, I have never seen in any public setting a tablet that is connected to anything except the occasional power socket in an airport terminal.

Stop, please.

Then wtf is the problem with the ability to do it? I don't understand your mentality. Having the ability to do something is always better than not.

Stop, please.

How many times have people asked on this forum about copying a DVD to an iPad or Android tablet? Did you even bother to read the OP? Obviously the OP in this case is looking to connect a DVD drive to an iPad or other tablet regardless of what you have seen in public.

The OP asked a question and I simply answered based on my experience as I do on occasion burn and rip optical media with my Windows 8 hybrid. And it's not like I've ever carried the DVD drive around in public when I've carried the hybrid out. It's an option that some people have an interest in. If you don't that's fine, but dictating what you think a tablet should do isn't helping answer the direct question.

Then wtf is the problem with the ability to do it? I don't understand your mentality. Having the ability to do something is always better than not.

Buy a laptop. Don't weigh down the tablet with unnecessary crap. Don't shoehorn features or abilities where they don't belong. Be focused.

How many times have people asked on this forum about copying a DVD to an iPad or Android tablet?

[H] is in no way a representative sampling of any significant or influential behavior outside of desktop gaming. Well, perhaps console gaming to a very, very slight extent.

The average person buys/rents on Amazon, iTunes, or Netflix. They don't need physical media, nor do they need to migrate from physical to digital. Their cords are already cut, that's why they have tablets in the first place. When they want to dig in to their DVD collection, they sit in front of the TV.

Is the Apple cheerleader really telling the MS cheerleader to "take the advocacy elsewhere?"

Buy a laptop. Don't weigh down the tablet with unnecessary crap. Don't shoehorn features or abilities where they don't belong. Be focused.

So everyone that bought a keyboard for their iPad should have bought a laptop? Sounds like you're arguing "Be limited".

[H] is in no way a representative sampling of any significant or influential behavior outside of desktop gaming. Well, perhaps console gaming to a very, very slight extent.

The average person buys/rents on Amazon, iTunes, or Netflix. They don't need physical media, nor do they need to migrate from physical to digital. Their cords are already cut, that's why they have tablets in the first place. When they want to dig in to their DVD collection, they sit in front of the TV.

I've pointed out the countless times I've seen people ask about copying DVDs onto their tablets, you act as though this is some strange and alien question that no one has every thought about. Web searches on "copy DVD to ipad" yield a zillion hits. People often have a mix of online and physical content. Lots of laptops don't even have optical drives in them. You act as though every peripheral that one plugs into a device must ALWAYS be used with that device. People print from their tablets, doesn't mean that they are always going to carry a printer.

Is the Apple cheerleader really telling the MS cheerleader to "take the advocacy elsewhere?"

But in this case I do exactly what the OP mentioned, plug DVD drives and other USB devices into tablets. Preaching about how a tablet should be used or some "Be focused" mantra wasn't what the OP asked about. Is it now considered being a cheerleader when one simply and directly tries to answer questions and share experiences?

Catfight!

If you are one of the <1% of tablet users who would even want to burn a DVD from your tablet, Windows 8 sounds like a great choice for you. The rest of us will continue to use an OS that doesn't occupy multiple GB of space on the limited SSD due to being bloated with features almost no one will use. I'll take an extra couple GB of free space over the ability to burn DVDs on my tablet any day.

So everyone that bought a keyboard for their iPad should have bought a laptop? Sounds like you're arguing "Be limited".

No one totes around a separate, standalone keyboard for their iPads. They buy cases, and if they want a physical keyboard, they make sure the case has an integrated keyboard. There is no additional bulk, because the keyboard is merged with an accessory the person was already intent on buying. To contrast, no one offers DVD drives integrated into those same cases, because that functionality is unnecessary. That's the point of the tablet form factor.

I've pointed out the countless times I've seen people ask about copying DVDs onto their tablets, you act as though this is some strange and alien question that no one has every thought about.

Because your personal experiences&#8212;and even more relevant, your recommendations&#8212;are in no way a representative sample of general behavior. My issue is that you insist they are. They are not. No one carries around an external USB DVD drive and a bunch of DVDs in case they want to watch movies on their tablets. That's not how the form factor works, and it never will. Thankfully.

Catfight!

If you are one of the <1% of tablet users who would even want to burn a DVD from your tablet, Windows 8 sounds like a great choice for you. The rest of us will continue to use an OS that doesn't occupy multiple GB of space on the limited SSD due to being bloated with features almost no one will use. I'll take an extra couple GB of free space over the ability to burn DVDs on my tablet any day.

It's not quite that simple. My sister in-law was down for the weekend and she picked up a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 for her grandson's birthday. She was in the market for a new device herself as she had an old desktop PC that had conked out. She had played with my Samsung Ativ 500 Windows 8 hybrid and really liked it. She had been thinking of getting an iPad but she really liked the hybrid keyboard design, like a laptop. So but chance we saw an Ativ 500 on display at the Office Depot we were in and the thing was $500. 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage. A new 4th gen iPad is $500 for only 16 GB. So for $600 she got a full Windows 8 hybrid with more available storage and a keyboard than a 4th gen iPad at the same price.

Now I am not saying that the iPad doesn't have plenty advantages, all I am saying is that pointing at available free space on the internal storage doesn't necessarily mean anything.

To be fair, this is a thread in the Apple subforum. I haven't seen him take to the Operating Systems threads with propaganda, but you do see certain people (*cough*) taking Microsoft propaganda here. Relentlessly, I might add.

No one totes around a separate, standalone keyboard for their iPads. They buy cases, and if they want a physical keyboard, they make sure the case has an integrated keyboard. There is no additional bulk, because the keyboard is merged with an accessory the person was already intent on buying. To contrast, no one offers DVD drives integrated into those same cases, because that functionality is unnecessary. That's the point of the tablet form factor.

Again, who said anything about toting anything all of the time? There are any number of accessories for tablets and laptops that people might use at certain times but not carry around all of the time.

Because your personal experiences—and even more relevant, your recommendations—are in no way a representative sample of general behavior. My issue is that you insist they are. They are not.

Read the OP again. I wasn't trying to expound upon some philosophy are general behavior, I answered a specific question to a specific need.

No one carries around an external USB DVD drive and a bunch of DVDs in case they want to watch movies on their tablets. That's not how the form factor works, and it never will. Thankfully.

Huh? This makes absolutely no sense. One can plug an optical drive into the USB port a Windows 8 tablet and rip DVDs for the express purposed of NOT having to carry DVDs around or repurchasing content they already own. That's way TONS of people ask about copying DVDs to iPads and Android tablets.

But guess what else you can connect to the USB port of an Windows 8 tablet? An iPad! In addition to the sister in-law that was down for the weekend that bought a Samsung Ativ 500 I had another sister in-law that visited that had a 4th gen iPad. The sister in-law with the iPad had around 2,000 pictures that the sister in-law wanted on her Ativ. So I plug the iPad into the Ativ, Windows 8 says "Hey want to copy those pictures from the iPad" and that's what I did.

So are you going to say now that because a Windows 8 tablet and sync photos with an iPad that's stupid because you have to have carry an iPad everywhere when using a Windows 8 tablet? Being able to connect to various and sundry devices is an OPTION, not a requirement and has NOTHING to do with the tablet form factor.

To be fair, this is a thread in the Apple subforum. I haven't seen him take to the Operating Systems threads with propaganda, but you do see certain people (*cough*) taking Microsoft propaganda here. Relentlessly, I might add.

From the OP:

Dear all,

To be fair, I suggested a specific option to mewa, those accusing me of spreading propaganda did not and at a cost in some cases even less than a 4th gen iPad. If only Apple products are allowed as options for problems that people ask in Apple forums even when Apple products don't provide the capability, it's not posted as a forum rule that I know of.

Last edited:
It's not quite that simple. My sister in-law was down for the weekend and she picked up a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 for her grandson's birthday. She was in the market for a new device herself as she had an old desktop PC that had conked out. She had played with my Samsung Ativ 500 Windows 8 hybrid and really liked it. She had been thinking of getting an iPad but she really liked the hybrid keyboard design, like a laptop. So but chance we saw an Ativ 500 on display at the Office Depot we were in and the thing was $500. 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage. A new 4th gen iPad is $500 for only 16 GB. So for $600 she got a full Windows 8 hybrid with more available storage and a keyboard than a 4th gen iPad at the same price.

Now I am not saying that the iPad doesn't have plenty advantages, all I am saying is that pointing at available free space on the internal storage doesn't necessarily mean anything.

So Samsung being willing to lower their profit margins on Windows 8 devices is a good thing now? I suppose it's a good thing for consumers in the short term, but it's bad for all parties in the long term. This is kind of like saying that it was a good move for HP to make the Touchpad because they sold so many at the $99 pricepoint. I love my Touchpad, but I also recognize that HP only sold it to me for $99 because they were struggling to make ends meet and it was their last chance to actually sell the product and recover capital. When manufacturers have to offer a 64GB Windows tablet at the same pricepoint as other vendors are selling 16GB iOS and Android tablets at, something is wrong with the business model.

Because they don't completely ripoff customers? I'm always confused by this mentality. How is it better for the customer if a company sells less products yet make much more profit? Good for the company, but not that great for the customer. And before we get here with the hate train, I love my iphone 5 and my parents iPad 2 and 3.

So Samsung being willing to lower their profit margins on Windows 8 devices is a good thing now? I suppose it's a good thing for consumers in the short term, but it's bad for all parties in the long term. This is kind of like saying that it was a good move for HP to make the Touchpad because they sold so many at the $99 pricepoint.

"Windows 8 tablets cost too much!" "Windows 8 tablet don't cost enough!" It's hilarious to see so much about Windows 8 said with almost no nuance or subtlety. I've said from Day One that Windows 8 tablets, particularly Atom based devices would need to get cheaper. And indeed that's what is happening. This was the same problem what faced Android tablets from the beginning. Who would buy a $500 Android tablet when $500 would buy an iPad. And indeed Android tablets only took off when sold for dirt cheap. I bet Samsung's margins are much better on its Windows 8 tablets than almost all of it's Android tablets

I love my Touchpad, but I also recognize that HP only sold it to me for $99 because they were struggling to make ends meet and it was their last chance to actually sell the product and recover capital. When manufacturers have to offer a 64GB Windows tablet at the same pricepoint as other vendors are selling 16GB iOS and Android tablets at, something is wrong with the business model.

There was never really a $500 Android tablet market and Android tablets did take off until they were much cheaper than iPads. When those 7" Android tablets started selling guess what, Apple came out with the iPad Mini, well under $500. $600 dollars for a Windows 8 hybrid that works as a tablet and a laptop with a keyboard with twice the storage of a 4th gen iPad at the same price, yeah, that has some appeal simply because it can work like a laptop and run much of the same software as a laptop.

If only Apple products are allowed as options for problems that people ask in Apple forums...
No one said anything of the sort. You're merely attempting to misrepresent the positons of and the actual statements made by your detractors.

Because they don't completely ripoff customers? I'm always confused by this mentality. How is it better for the customer if a company sells less products yet make much more profit? Good for the company, but not that great for the customer. And before we get here with the hate train, I love my iphone 5 and my parents iPad 2 and 3.

This thread is extremely entertaining. Windows 8 is bloated and everyone wants more internal storage but for the same price as a 16 GB 4th gen iPad one can get a 64 GB full Windows 8 tablet with much more free storage but that's bad because it's too cheap. And oh yeah, by the way, being able plug a USB DVD drive into that Windows 8 tablet with much more storage is a bad thing because no on is going to haul around an external DVD drive and DVDs when the idea is that never would haul those things around anymore than a printer.

Amazing.

Because they don't completely ripoff customers? I'm always confused by this mentality. How is it better for the customer if a company sells less products yet make much more profit?
I don't agree with him in a general sense, but excessively low product pricing can yield a race-to-the-bottom market whereby manufacturers, in order to be competitive, must produce the lowest-cost and lowest-quality products feasible. This can lead to a market that's flooded by inexpensive but poorly-made products made with subpar materials where premium manufacturers have little chance of success.

See: netbooks; Chromebooks.

If the company has a solid track record of investing back into the products and the development of future ideas, that tends to result in a better quality of experience for the consumer. I'm not saying this is true in all cases, or even that it's universal for either Apple or Google, but if you look at what they pay their employees, the level of employee satisfaction and the overall trends in innovation, you'll see a fairly good track record. You can't exactly expect to lead the way in innovation while also being a loss leader. Apple has excellent control of their supply chain made possible by massive amounts of cash on hand and Google wields great control over implementation and infrastructure standards, again made possible by their immense cash flow. Microsoft also occupies this position too, and they're hedging their bets on products like Windows 8 and the Xbox One, which should come to fruition over the next few years. Compare this to companies that generate cash flow but have low recent track records in innovation (Oracle, HP, Yahoo) and companies that have great potential to innovate but have their attempts stymied by low revenue (Firefox). When companies are healthy, their products tend to be too.

"Windows 8 tablets cost too much!" "Windows 8 tablet don't cost enough!" It's hilarious to see so much about Windows 8 said with almost no nuance or subtlety. I've said from Day One that Windows 8 tablets, particularly Atom based devices would need to get cheaper. And indeed that's what is happening. This was the same problem what faced Android tablets from the beginning. Who would buy a $500 Android tablet when $500 would buy an iPad. And indeed Android tablets only took off when sold for dirt cheap. I bet Samsung's margins are much better on its Windows 8 tablets than almost all of it's Android tablets

There was never really a $500 Android tablet market and Android tablets did take off until they were much cheaper than iPads. When those 7" Android tablets started selling guess what, Apple came out with the iPad Mini, well under $500. $600 dollars for a Windows 8 hybrid that works as a tablet and a laptop with a keyboard with twice the storage of a 4th gen iPad at the same price, yeah, that has some appeal simply because it can work like a laptop and run much of the same software as a laptop.

If Windows 8 and Android had as much time to develop a software ecosystem for tablets as the iPad has, I think they'd be able to compete on relative parity and price. Running x86 software on a tablet is still very new to consumers, and while I agree that it's likely to take serious hold over the next couple of years, it's not something that's really entered the mainstream yet. Don't misunderstand: this isn't some slag against Windows tablets. I use a Windows 8 tablet, an Android tablet and an iOS tablet every single day at work. I have to, in order to ensure that our end users are getting the best experience on whatever platform they choose to use. My critique is simply that the various OEMs are having to compete on unequal footing, mostly because they have spent their time investing in hardware instead of software. Content is king, but I'm not sure any of the Big 3 in tablets really recognize this. Apple just has an advantage because they were the first mover and they are easy to develop for, but this is eroding as Android gains steam and Google consolidates their developer infrastructure. Microsoft doesn't really seem to be playing the same game, instead hedging their bets on legacy software, which I hope pans out well for them over the coming years.

I bet Samsung's margins are much better on its Windows 8 tablets than almost all of it's Android tablets

I would like to see a source of any type that corroborates this. Even with the vast internal development Samsung has done on Android, I think their cost per unit is significantly lower than anything they build running Microsoft's OS, but again, I'd like to see a source.

I don't agree with him in a general sense, but excessively low product pricing can yield a race-to-the-bottom market whereby manufacturers, in order to be competitive, must produce the lowest-cost and lowest-quality products feasible. This can lead to a market that's flooded by inexpensive but poorly-made products made with subpar materials where premium manufacturers have little chance of success.

See: netbooks; Chromebooks.

This is really what I'm talking about. The race-to-the-bottom does nothing but lower consumer expectations and breed contempt for better offerings. I wasn't trying to frame it as an argument that more corporate profit is better for everyone, but if you don't have capital to invest, the race-to-the-bottom is really the only race in which you can even compete. It takes more players in a race-to-the-best for that market segment to be healthy. And the race-to-the-best is really the race that consumer attention should be focused on. For a device that many owners use more every day than their car, price expectations are ridiculously out of line.

If Windows 8 and Android had as much time to develop a software ecosystem for tablets as the iPad has, I think they'd be able to compete on relative parity and price.

Not even iPads of today can compete on price parity of the iPad of 2010. $500 for a mobile OS only device even for Apple is not as easy a sale as it was three years ago. Yes, Apple sold more iPads than ever last quarter but their profits and revenue dropped because people bought tons of iPad Minis.

Microsoft doesn't really seem to be playing the same game, instead hedging their bets on legacy software, which I hope pans out well for them over the coming years.

I agree. But it's not just about legacy, it's about everything. The point of a Windows 8 tablet is to do everything that one has done with a Windows laptop over the years and at least a very good amount of what people do with tablets. From that perspective I think Microsoft is much closer than many realize. There's much work to be done, maybe Microsoft is forever out of the tablet game, but a Windows 8 tablet even today will do most of what people use tablets for. Web browsing? Check. Digital media like Netflix, Kindle and Nook? Check. Angry Birds? Check. I think even now it is MUICH easier to plug holes in a tablet than a desktop ecosystem if for no other reason desktops, including Macs are on the decline and more and more people are going to be buying tablets, even ones with Windows.

I would like to see a source of any type that corroborates this. Even with the vast internal development Samsung has done on Android, I think their cost per unit is significantly lower than anything they build running Microsoft's OS, but again, I'd like to see a source.

How knows. I just don't think that $200 and under 7" Android tablets are brining the same margins as $500 and $1000 11.6" Windows tablets are for Samsung. 11.6" Windows 8 devices at these price points are all they sell currently. Samsung is scheduled to announce both new Android and Windows 8 devices Thursday I believe.

This is really what I'm talking about. The race-to-the-bottom does nothing but lower consumer expectations and breed contempt for better offerings.

The best is always much harder to determine than the cheapest. You made the point earlier that having more free space on a device was "the best" instead of having capabilities that you determined few would use. Being able to plug a USB device into a tablet is being hailed as bas by some because you have drag around DVDs when the idea is just being able to copy content that one already has without repurchasing it onto a tablet.

Cheaper is a much more objective way to determine best and much more effective for both consumers and businesses.

Back