Can I use VLC to multicast successfully?

Roman79

[H]ard|Gawd
I would like to be able to watch the same stream in two different (maybe more later) rooms in my home. I know that in theory I should be able to use VLC to do this, but I'm not having any luck with it so far.

I can stream it from one instance of VLC, and view it from another instance (on the same PC), so I know I've got it at least partly setup right. But I cannot "open network stream" from another PC.

To make things simple I'm using two Win7 machines to test this, and I've added an exception for VLC in the firewall settings; heck I've even turned the firewall off, but I still can't open the stream. I can however play media on the remote machine using Windows media player, so there is connectivity.

What's particularly irritating is that I can't find a decent Howto to set this up. It's entirely possible (read: likely) that I just don't have it setup correctly. Even the one linked from VLC help is either out of date or is refering to a different version, because I don't have those menu options.

Can anyone point me to a Howto or tutorial for the current (1.0.5) version? Thanks.

Back