Can I use either of these?

JohnnyG73

n00b
Hi, new to the forum and this is my first thread so I can't use links. I'm having trouble understanding some things. I have built several computers but it has been nearly a decade and I have spent the last month trying to catch up on new technology. I want to have my OS on a SSD.

My MoBo: MSI Z170A PC MATE

I am looking at 2 different (or maybe the same) types of M.2 drives. Both are Plextor.

Here are the item #'s on Newegg:

9SIA4RE3RK9282 $119.99

9SIA4RE32A4045 $203.99

As best as I can understand it, the top one is a basic M.2 drive and the second is the same exact M.2 drive mounted on a PCIe card. What purpose does the card serve? Is it only for MoBo's that don't have the small M.2 port?

Thanks in advance for any help.

That is correct, the pci M.2 adapter is for use in pc's that do not have a M.2 socket.
The specs for your board states:
The M2_1 slot will only run PCIe 3.0 x2 speed when M2_1 slot is installed with a M.2 PCIe device and PCI_E4 slot is installed with a PCIe x1 device at the same time.

So if you don't want this happening by using a card in the PCI_E4 slot, then use the pci adapter card/M.2 instead.

I guess I didn't find the Samsung 950 Pro 256GB. That's a viable option although with a bit more price. What Seithennin wrote corresponds to what my MoBo manual states for the most part but I am finding it a little confusing. I understand it as my fastest option is to use the M2_1 socket only??? I am also understanding it as this socket will run at a slower speed if I am also using the PCIe4 slot with a GPU for example? Do I have this correct so far? I don't think this will be a problem because my GPU is using PCIe2 slot. If in the future I were to use a SLI configuration this would change things.

The last time I built there was only PCI and AGP which would explain my confusion on this :)

Yes that is correct, that's why i mentioned using the m.2 adapter card if you don't want it slowing down by using the pci-e 4 slot.

Back