Can I use an external case button as a key stroke or gamepad button?

Adam Bluhm

n00b
Heyya, guys. I have a questions for you.

I'm working on a Nintendo HTPC project. It will be primarily used for Nintendo emulation and DVD playback. It will have front end loading software so I never see windows.

What I want to do is use the RESET button on the outside as a key stroke or usb gamepad button that windows will recognize, so for example, instead of pressing ESC to back out of an emulator to the game selection software, I could then press the RESET button to serve this feature. It would be nice for two reasons. First, it would be semi-authentic (reset button exits your current game to select a new game). The other reason is I plan to re-wire the Nintendo controller ports so the native Nintendo controllers are recognized as a USB device. Hence, there will be no available buttons to use as an ESC function.

So, I ask, is there ANY way I can do this? I'm trying to save space, as the case is small.

One idea I had was possibly modding a small game controller. I could plug it into a usb port, nix the outer shell of the controller and run wires from a button to the reset switch. That might take up some much needed room, though.

I'm all ears. :) Thanks for any help.

One idea I had was possibly modding a small game controller. I could plug it into a usb port, nix the outer shell of the controller and run wires from a button to the reset switch. That might take up some much needed room, though.
I think that actually might be your best bet... The only other thing that comes to mind would be to use a parallel or serial port pin for the same idea, but that would also require some kind of polling code running in the background that would send a keystroke msg when it detects the switch - the hacked gamepad is probably the easiest solution.

Ditto what agent420 said. It doesn't necessarily have to be a gamepad, either. You could gut a USB keyboard to get the same effect--the only part you need out of the keyboard is the small PCB with the IC on it.

PCB = Printed Circuit Board. The thin, large sheet of fiberglass to which all the parts are soldered.
IC = Integrated circuit. The (typically) black chip with metal legs which is soldered to the PCB

Gotchya. Thanks. I just didn't know the technical terms. This small project within a project shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again, fellas.

Back