Can I use a switch with ethernet over powerline?

Due to a variety of factors, I think I will be going with ethernet over powerline.

I found this Netgear product which seems pretty decent, favorable reviews, etc:
Netgear XAVB101

However, I need to make sure I can put a switch on the end of one of these units so I can connect more than one computer. It seems like I should be able to, but I was thinking twice after I saw that they sell a version of the adapter than has a built in switch. None of the reviews I read could really give me a clear answer.

So does anyone know, either with the above product specifically, or just in general, if I can use a switch with ethernet over powerline?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't have personal experience with it, so I can't say for sure, but I see no reason why you couldn't. The one with a switch built-in is probably just for people who need both parts anyway and/or don't understand how to hook the two together.

Actually, the description there says to plug one into your router, which will actually be a switch the vast majority of the time. Now I'm even more confident that you'd have no problems plugging it into a switch.

Keep in mind that your powerline link will still be limited to the speed of this unit. If you plug one into a switch with 4 PCs on it, those 4 PCs will all be sharing that 100Mb connection to whatever is on the other end.

For example, in Netgear's diagram, there would be a single 100Mb link between the living room and the home office.
enus_diagram_xavb101.gif

If you put a gigabit switch in the living room and hooked up the TV, console, and STB all at once, those devices could talk to each other at 1Gb/s. However, each of those could only communicate with the office at a max of 100Mb/s, and if multiple living room devices were trying to communicate with the office, they'd all be sharing that 100Mb/s.

It just acts like a network cable run, but over powerlines. Obviously there is speed differences/etc, but as far as what you can put on either end it works the same as a wired run.

You can put a switch/router/whatever on either end no problem. I ran one for a customer that went from his current router to another wireless router to act as a second access point and wired connections to some devices.

Thanks, just wanted to double check. I figured since it was 802.3 it was pretty standard and just another medium for the data transmission... but i read that they had some standard (to get better speeds, QoS, etc) called HomePlug. So I wasn't sure if this was something that may limit what can be placed downstream. I just wanted to be sure I didn't drop $120 only to find out I needed a different product instead.

"...based on the new spec--HomePlug AV--which specifically address the need for QoS for latency-sensitive services such as HDTV and VoIP (HomePlug AV is backward-compatible with HomePlug 1). The theoretic throughput of HomePlug AV products is 200Mbps, but real-world performance is pegged at around 100Mbps."

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back