Can I use a memory card for a bood drive?

mrwill

Limp Gawd
I have a 128GB Class 10 SDXC memory card with a USB card reader. I would like to make an image of my Win7-64 bootable hard drive and then restore it to the memory card. Is this possible? What backup software will allow this, if any?

I expect dd, clonezilla or acronis true image to be the programs that will give you the best shot of cloning your current windows7 to the external.

I use Macrium Reflect and really like it, but it will not restore an image to my memory card. I have tried Backup4all, Acronis, (both without success) and am looking at Nova Backup. Apparently this is not an easy task. By the way, what is dd?

A utility found on most linux live cd / usb stick releases. This utility will make a bit for bit copy one storage device to the other without or doing anything else. You may want to use ddrescue instead as it shows the progress of the move. I can help if you do not know linux. You will need to understand how to identify the source device and the destination device since dd/ddrescue does not care at all if you reverse the order and tell it to overwrite your source disk with 0s it will happily obey your command.

I have used Parted Magic to secure erase my SSD drives in the past. Does Parted Magic have it? If not, which linux version would be the best for ease of use?

I tried Parted Magic, as it has a disk clone option. However, it did not work. I've recently discovered that it is not possible to boot Windows 7 using USB (connected to anything). The issue is a Windows limitation.

Back