can I use a copy of Vista 64 to do Windows 7 Update ?

you can't legally sell or use the OS you used to upgrade from while 7 is installed as your OS.
I used the word Legally, but it's not illegal, it's against the TOS and EULA of the upgrade.

I currently have Vista Ultimate 32/64 Retail version and want to buy/install Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade. Once installed, I would like to sell the Vista Ultimate Retail version. My questions are:

- can I legally keep a copy of the Vista DVD's on hand in case I need to do a fresh install of Win 7 ?
- do I have to activate a fresh install of Vista before I install the Win 7 upgrade, which will require a Win 7 activation anyway ?
- I think Win 7 has a built-in utility that let's you save the completed OS to DVD. Can i just make two copies of these DVD's and not bother with the Vista anymore when I do a fresh install?

Hi, tomana,

I'm not a lawyer so i can't comment on your first question. I will note that I don't think Win 7 Home Premium is considered an "upgrade" from Vista Ultimate. Check this entry for information on upgrade paths from "Win7 ABCs - Great list of Windows 7 tutorials by MVP Shawn Brink!."

I won't comment on your second queastion as I've not done an upgrade install, but the "Win7 ABCs" article linked above may help.

Once you have Win 7 installed and activated make a System image backup and also do regular file back ups. Then you can restore your computer from the system image backup. Also, check Shawn Brinks' entry How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7 and related entries.

I'm sure others will post more information and offer corrections to what I have posted.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr.

Back