Can I use a bluetooth PS3 controller on PC?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there any way I can use a bluetooth PS3 controller on the PC? Or are there any recommendations for any bluetooth gamepads for PC?

I don't want to use anything with a USB dongle.

I'm not sure if there's a way to use it wireless, but if you install Motionjoy you can use it with the USB cable that came with the system.

Just install it, load the program, connect your controller, and click Load Driver in the Driver Manager Tab. If you want it to emulate the 360 controller (what I usually do), select that in Profiles then press Enable.

If you have a bluetooth dongle compatible with the Motioninjoy program then you can use that with your PS3 controller. They have a list of known compatible devices.

WOW glad to see some support for the ps3 pad. I might have to install that instead of getting a second 360 controller.

Be careful when using monojoy if you have a wireless device like a keyboard or mouse. You will loose access to your keyboard and mouse if you don't take precautions... read up on it before you blindly installed.

Motionjoy works, but it's pretty flakey. Sometimes it'll work first try, other times you gotta reset the bluetooth, resync it, fiddle with the profiles. If you use it for emulation, I think the direction pad is configured wrong in the default profiles.

I'll borrow a PS3 controller and try it out. The reason I don't want an Xbox 360 controller is that it has a big dongle and that sucks for a laptop.

I also prefer the look of the PS3 controller and I seem to want all my devices to be bluetooth now. I am so sick of USB dongles.

Installed Motionjoy, it shows the PS3 controller connected (via cable), loaded the driver, back in the Profiles tab it still says Wait for controller(s) to be connected. Makes me a sad panda.

Motionjoy works, but it's pretty flakey. Sometimes it'll work first try, other times you gotta reset the bluetooth, resync it, fiddle with the profiles. If you use it for emulation, I think the direction pad is configured wrong in the default profiles.

This is what happened to me. It's been broken ever since I've switched windows 7 x64 and a few motion joy updates. It's just crap now. I ended up buying a 360 based controller from razor, though I have to say I don't care much for it.

Hmm. I've had zero issues with Motionjoy, though I've never used it with bluetooth.

Thuleman: It's kinda picky with how you do it. Try this:

1. Start program.
2. Plug in PS3 controller.
3. Click Driver Manager tab.
4. Tick box for your controller, press Load Driver, wait for it to say completed at the bottom.
5. Back to Profiles tab. It should say Dualshock 3/sixaxis (USB) in the dropdown.
6. Choose Xbox 360 Controller Emulator, then Enable. If it vibrates when you do Vibration Testing, it's working.

For whatever reason, switching back to the Driver Manager tab after doing this causes it to stop working until you repeat steps 4-6. So uh, don't do that. :p

Back