Can i upgrade my academic engineering version of windows?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently I have a non retail version of windows 7 that a friend gave me to install that he gets from his engineering dept. I'm assuming msdn. It activates fine and I have the key. Now I'm wanting to get windows 8.1 so I need to upgrade to windows 8 first. Can I just buy a windows 8
Pro upgrade or will it not work with the msdn key forcing me to buy a full windows 8 oem?

MSDNAA copies are considered (as far as the key is concerned) full retail boxed copies. They can be transferred to a new computer (assuming it's deleted off the old computer first) and of course, used to upgrade.

Currently I have a non retail version of windows 7 that a friend gave me to install that he gets from his engineering dept. I'm assuming msdn. It activates fine and I have the key. Now I'm wanting to get windows 8.1 so I need to upgrade to windows 8 first. Can I just buy a windows 8
Pro upgrade or will it not work with the msdn key forcing me to buy a full windows 8 oem?

You know you can clean install windows8 with an upgrade key? No need for previous os or key.

Back