Can I tweak my system 4x 8x in HL2?

Isaacav2

[H]ard|Gawd
Soooooo, I kinda had the impression that with my setup, I would be able to play HL2 1280x1024 4xaa 8xaf flawlessley. Even when I had my 3dmark 2005 score in the 5000+ range, the game was not flawless. I kept getting drops in my framerates and the studdering etc.

Question is, will tweaking my system allow me to play at 4x 8x with no drops below 30? Is that possible with a 6800GT? What settings do you play HL2 at?

I get bad stuttering, but good fps once the stuttering stops which is hardly does, in almost any resolution with hl2, 1600X1200 8XAF, 1024X768 4XAA 8XAF and 1024X768 no aa or af all seem the same. Whenever I stop playing I get a "Virtual memory low" error, and I have nothing at all running in the background. I guess im gonna have to order more ram, since 512mb apparently is not enough

Try setting your agp aperture size to 256 if you haven't already.

RAutrey said:
Try setting your agp aperture size to 256 if you haven't already.

I actually had it set to 256 untill I ran 3dmark 2005 and found out that I somehow lost 1000 points. So right now my agp apeture size is set to 512 (still didnt get my 1000 points back). I have fiddled around with fastrights in the bios and it seems to not make a difference.

make sure you have the latest HL2 updates etc. etc.

turn off autosaving if you don't need it, that helps too

wow.. are u guys seriously still get stuttering? mines went away after the last update.....

aZn_plyR said:
wow.. are u guys seriously still get stuttering? mines went away after the last update.....

Not so much the studdering but the drops in framerates are killing me! (I'm a pretty picky guy) I also noticed that since my harddrive is about half full now, my 3dmark 2005 points dropped by 1000. :mad: :eek:

But anyways, arent I supposed to be able to run HL2 1280x1024 4xaa 8xaf in max detail with my rig in the sig?

Isaacav2 said:
Not so much the studdering but the drops in framerates are killing me! (I'm a pretty picky guy) I also noticed that since my harddrive is about half full now, my 3dmark 2005 points dropped by 1000. :mad: :eek:

But anyways, arent I supposed to be able to run HL2 1280x1024 4xaa 8xaf in max detail with my rig in the sig?

Yea, you should be able to run the game at those settings. The AGP aperature size has nothing to do with your problem. Reconfigure your bios and set the ap back down to 128. Is fastwrites a problem for you? Try running the game with it on and off. Have you defragged your hardrive lately? I'm playing HL2 at 1600x1200 4x8x, no problems, slight stuttering when levels just finish loading. From what Ive heard its a game problem nothing to do with hardware.

which part in the game do you drop below 30? that's pretty low.... i can game at 1600x1200 max whatever and not drop so low..

aZn_plyR said:
which part in the game do you drop below 30? that's pretty low.... i can game at 1600x1200 max whatever and not drop so low..

when the Helicopter flys by for the first time, when I go off a huge jump, when I go into a new area. most parts are acceptable, but I want to forget that I am playing a videogame and not have to deal with unperfection.

I get stuttering too running the game at 1152x864 4xAA/8xAF with a 6800GT ;\

I've beaten the game then I got my GT so I wanted to try it out.

I loaded up HL2 and played the 'water hazard' leval and it got nice framerates @ 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF everything set to high.

It did dip to 30 while I was driving the hovercraft for a moment but stayed about 60 for most of the time, event topping out at 150 :D

*disregard this, my AAS was at 64 megs since I didnt finish setting my bios back to it's optimal settings*
Half Life 2 has been dropping to 10 FPS and staying there for no explicable reason. When all is well, I'm in the 40 FPS range at 1280x1024. Lowering AA and AF makes no difference. Even the credits scroll stutters! And by stuttering I mean dropping to 10 FPS and STAYING THERE for several minutes. I'm not overclocking anything and there's no reason for the game to be doing this. Does HL2 auto update through steam or what? It does look like I'm running the latest version. It's so stupid...

robberbaron said:
Half Life 2 has been dropping to 10 FPS and staying there for no explicable reason. When all is well, I'm in the 40 FPS range at 1280x1024. Lowering AA and AF makes no difference. Even the credits scroll stutters! And by stuttering I mean dropping to 10 FPS and STAYING THERE for several minutes. I'm not overclocking anything and there's no reason for the game to be doing this. Does HL2 auto update through steam or what? It does look like I'm running the latest version. It's so stupid...

Is this your first video card?

Did you switch from ATi to nvidia?

Did you properly clean out the old drivers if you did? i.e. Driver Cleaner

What's your 3dmark scores?

Are all other games fine?

Winston's got you covered - the stuttering problem is a known issue in HL2 and it should be fixed in the current Catalysts/patch, so try his suggestions.

I have a 6800 and haven't used ATI since I had a crappy Rage 128 about 8 years ago that I did not like (though the only reason really that I have chosen nVidia over ATI the last two cards is that nVidia cards were reasonably priced for the technology you get). I also forgot to reset some of my bios settings after a CPU pin incident, so my aperture was at 64MB. It's at 256 now and all is well. Disregard my rant.

my system with 512 400mhz ram in dual channel plays hl2 without stuttering at those settings.

the low memory would be affected more by the texture detail and graphic aperature size than the aa and aniso.

I've run into the same sort of disappointment that your feeling. I like to play Ut2k4 and had run it earlier at 16x12 with sorta high settings on my 9800pro and it ran pretty nice, usually 60fps. No aa/af of course, or rather Application choice. I have since acquired a 6800gt oc. Yes, it's true that I can now hear the "Holy ----" and run it 16x12, but there are times when my frames plummet into the 20-30's. As far as af/aa, the aa really seems to affect this card. I am now running it at 1280x1024, "HS", 2xaa/8xaf. Frames stay about 60/70 most of the time. But it still feels laggy for some reason. I'm getting HL2 in a couple of days, so I'll see if I get any issues with that. One last thing, my card did "feel" better with a 256 apeture and fastwrites off.

Back