Can I trust em?

Skud

Gawd
I've been browsing fleabay for some cheap SCSI goodness and I got to thinking about how much I can actually trust used hard drives sold on ebay. For example, I was looking at these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789704277&category=39975

It's a lot of 10 18.2gig SCSI drives. Now before anyone says anything:

1) I know they're SCA drives and I either need an 80->68 pin adapter or an 80 pin enclosure (<-- leaning towards one)

2) I know they're only 80MB/sec drives. That's OK. The server is going to be a light-duty web/DB/file server.

So, what's your guy's opinion on used disks? I'm thinking they might already have alot of hours on them.

Riley

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently bought a single used drive just like those from ebay. It works great, no problems at all. SCSI drives are made to last a LONG time, so they should be ok. I did have to purchase a 80>68pin converter, and that was an additional $5. Oh, I paid $25 for my single drive, so thats a pretty good deal on that 10 pack. Those drives are a bit larger (higher) than a normal drive, and might cause a problem if you will be using an enclosure, or stacking them in a case. Also, they do run quite hot, so you will probably want good cooling.

Check with the seller and get the serial numbers and see if they have any warrenty left.

Go with the 80 pin HDD rack setup. I started with 68 pin drives. I wish now I had went with 80 pin drives and racks.

I got some used Atlas IV drives and some used Ultrastars from a friends workplace and most of them were fine. That's really not bad when you consider that the Atlas drives were 9.1GB drives and about 5+ years old and spinning for who knows how much of that time

Anyway, he's selling them as non-DOA, so if you already have a SCSI card, pick up a single 80->68pin adapter and test them out in your current machine when they come. That way, if one's dead, you can arrange for an exchange or a partial refund to make up for it.

BTW, you can get the software to check it out on Seagates website. Just look for its SCSI diagnostic programs.

Hit up surpluscomputers.com I've snagged a couple of 10-packs of 10k 18.2 SCA drives for like $120 shipped.

Work great so far, no DOA's

Originally posted by Nate7311
Hit up surpluscomputers.com I've snagged a couple of 10-packs of 10k 18.2 SCA drives for like $120 shipped.

Work great so far, no DOA's

Not too bad at $10 ea. Only downside is that they're 1.6" drives, not 1", but then again so is that ebay auction, so you're probably better off at surpluscomputers.com. At least they come with a 90 day warranty.

Good stuff, thanks for the replies guys.

I'll definately check out surpluscomputers.com. Looks like there may be some useful stuff there.

Riley

Back