Can I "sniff" traffic on a remote website?

I was wondering if it is possible to see what IP addresses are using a remote website. I know programs like wireshark will do some kind of sniffing on the local network but I don't think it will do it on servers/networks which are located outside the LAN. Is there any way to do this or any other type of monitoring that can be done on remote web sites?

Generally not; you need administrative access somewhere near the target IP address.

Of course, WHY you want this kind of access would be interesting, I'm sure.

Most webstat programs have details like that. You can even check the logs to see where a user comes from. They send a lot of information (user agent, ip address, etc.). If you have access to the web server or web site admin page, you can get that info very easily.

Generally not; you need administrative access somewhere near the target IP address.

Of course, WHY you want this kind of access would be interesting, I'm sure.

So preventive actions could be taken if necessary. I am contemplating hosting some sites and was wondering about the privacy of the members and whether or not they can be monitored remotely.

So preventive actions could be taken if necessary. I am contemplating hosting some sites and was wondering about the privacy of the members and whether or not they can be monitored remotely.
If person X wants information Y bad enough they will find a way to get it.

Back