Can I run programs off of a backup drive in vista?

DeathPod

Weaksauce
So I just got a terabyte drive. My plan is to use my current 150gb raptor drive for only running windows. Now, can I install all my programs on my new terabyte drive and run them without any problems? Or should I just use my new drive as my main? Another question, if I decide to do the two drive method would I just format the second drive through windows and use it like that?

My wording may be a bit confusing but I sure would appreciate some help, thanks.

The apps will run fine off the TB drive, but the apps will be split across the raptor and the TB. Most of the files will be on the TB, but crucial things like registry entries, etc are on the raptor. This means if you use the TB drive with a different windows install the apps won't work(you'll have to reinstall the apps).

Yes, just format it in windows, right click on my computer-> manage -> disk management. Then find the drive and tell it to initialize or format.

My TB drive took over 5 hours to format as NTFS.

I don't see the need to put your programs on the 1TB drive, because if you have a HDD crash on the mains, you're not going to be able to use the programs on a new install without reinstalling anyway. (registry and vital resources will still be installed on your Windows drive) I would deff keep the Raptor as the mains drive, but 150GB is plenty enough room for operating system and all the programs you can need.

Use the 1TB drive for all your data, and use the faster drive for windows and applications.
Just my $0.02.

There isn't much of an issue of "faster" in this case, since 150GB Raptors have aged and new terabyte drives equal or beat them for speed. Since you have two drives, I'd agree that keeping the applications on the Raptor is probably a good idea, though - but equally there's no harm in having them on the terabyte drive either. I don't reckon it's worth moving the Windows install.

Depends. Is this an internal or external, and what type of interface? I don't see where it mentions what drive this is.

I was assuming internal, but considering it's a backup drive, it may be external.. if not eSATA then it will be noticeably slower, yes, and not the best choice for installing things.

Whoops, yeah the TB drive is a Samsung HD103UJ. I may just move everything to it instead.

Whoops, yeah the TB drive is a Samsung HD103UJ. I may just move everything to it instead.

Since the HD103UJ appears to be one of the Spinpoint F1 drives, it's better than the old raptor anyway (higher STR). I would either use it exclusively or install most things to it and use the raptor for the OS or maybe just the paging file (low access time on the raptor).

With that large of a drive, especially since it seems to be a faster driver, I'd probably ditch the Raptor as well, and sell it to make a few bucks.

Back