Can I run an MSI R7850 with a nVidia GeForce 9800?

dave247

n00b
I've had a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ for a long time and I just got a new MSI R7850 (Twin Frozr 2GD5OC). I want to use both cards in my system: the R7850 for my primary GPU for gaming on my main monitor and the 9800 for my secondary monitor. I want to know if I will have driver conflict issues or something else bad. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Just plug both monitors into your 7850, no need to run that 9800 anymore.

Just plug both monitors into your 7850, no need to run that 9800 anymore.

Of course this would be the first response. I always get responses that don't address my actual question directly. So frustrating. I'm not trying to be rude to you, it's just it ALWAYS happens.

Moving on.

I can not plug both monitors into my new card because my new card only has one single DVI port and the other is HDMI. My two monitors are a DVI and a VGA. My 9800 has two DVI ports and I use a DVI to VGA adapter to connect my VGA monitor and the other monitor connects via DVI. Ergo, with this new set-up, I have to use both video cards if I want to use both monitors.

My original question still remains.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not going to address your question, but just buy an adapter.

The answer to your question is, ya, it will probably work, might run into some driver conflicts, but in theory you should be able to do it.

However, again, an adapter would make more sense, and will save you power usage.

Seriously, it's 8 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...386037884&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+adapter

I did consider an adapter, and I will probably buy it. However, my other main idea behind this besides using both monitors is that I wanted to use the two cards together so they could be useful in sharing different processing loads. Obviously I'm not talking about Crossfire or SLI, but I run 3D design applications and I figured I would use the better card for rendering and the other for whatever else I'm doing while I wait.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
you should be able to do that, but my gut feeling is it has the potential to be a massive pain the ass.

I used to run an HD 6950 along with an old nVidia 7800 for a third monitor that I used for random things. Windows 7/8 handled the drivers fairly well without a hitch. I don't recall having many problems using both together, obviously not for performance gains but for just having the availability of more monitors. You should be good.

I used to run an HD 6950 along with an old nVidia 7800 for a third monitor that I used for random things. Windows 7/8 handled the drivers fairly well without a hitch. I don't recall having many problems using both together, obviously not for performance gains but for just having the availability of more monitors. You should be good.

Thaks. That's what I needed to hear. It does seem like my system is slightly slower but I'll keep playing around with it.

I did consider an adapter, and I will probably buy it. However, my other main idea behind this besides using both monitors is that I wanted to use the two cards together so they could be useful in sharing different processing loads. Obviously I'm not talking about Crossfire or SLI, but I run 3D design applications and I figured I would use the better card for rendering and the other for whatever else I'm doing while I wait.

When a AMD card is present in the system, Cuda/Physx is disabled by the Nvidia Drivers. You'll only get OpenCL support on the Geforce, and it's crappy compared to your 7850 in compute performance.

Avoid driver hell, get the adapter.

When a AMD card is present in the system, Cuda/Physx is disabled by the Nvidia Drivers. You'll only get OpenCL support on the Geforce, and it's crappy compared to your 7850 in compute performance.

Avoid driver hell, get the adapter.

Yeah I'm noticing the performance drop. I didn't know that about the disabled cuda, but it makes sense.

Back