• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can I Run 3 Monitors? Eyefinity?

Goran

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
390
I have an XFX 5770 and I just purchased 2 u2311h IPS monitors from Dell.

Currently I have 2 19 inch monitors running off the two dvi ports this card offers. But I'm wondering if it'll be possible to run three monitors (the two 23 inch monitors and 1 19 inch)? There's conflicting information online but from what I understand you can run 3 monitors as long as one is plugged into the DP connection. Is this correct? So basically I would have 2 monitors hooked up via DVI and one via DP and be able to run them all as an extended desktop?

What about eyefinity? Do they make DP splitters that can do eyefinity or would I need to plug one monitor into the DP and the other one using one of those expensive DVI to DP active converters?
 
To use 3 monitors one monitor has to be plugged in to the DP port, so either native DP, DP->VGA ($20) or active DP->DVI ($100).
 
To use 3 monitors one monitor has to be plugged in to the DP port, so either native DP, DP->VGA ($20) or active DP->DVI ($100).

If you looked at the monitors he bought, they have a displayport so he's fine. He needs no adapter.

That said, OP, you need to buy another u2311h because you can get spanning but you cannot do Eyefinity with conflicting resolutions. All 3 monitors must share the same resolution.

That 19" is a no go to go into your setup. Sell them both and get 1 more u2311h.

One of the DVI ports and one of the HDMI ports on the card or shared so you can only use one of them at a time. Basically your setup will always have one monitor on the Display port. The other will use either both DVIs or one DVI and an HDMI. That's all.

I have no idea why you think you would need an active adapter. The Dell monitors all have a display port, a VGA port, and an DVI port!
 
Last edited:
If you looked at the monitors he bought, they have a displayport so he's fine. He needs no adapter.

That said, OP, you need to buy another u2311h because you can get spanning but you cannot do Eyefinity with conflicting resolutions. All 3 monitors must share the same resolution.

That 19" is a no go to go into your setup. Sell them both and get 1 more u2311h.

One of the DVI ports and one of the HDMI ports on the card or shared so you can only use one of them at a time. Basically your setup will always have one monitor on the Display port. The other will use either both DVIs or one DVI and an HDMI. That's all.

I have no idea why you think you would need an active adapter. The Dell monitors all have a display port, a VGA port, and an DVI port!

Ahh, I thought the U2311h had a DP port but since he didn't mention it I guessed it didn't.

But he can do Eyefinity with the conflicting resolution, it will just set all the monitors to whatever the 19" one is (1680x1050?). It's not *that* bad and the resolution restriction is only for gaming, for extended desktop mode it doesn't matter. But yea, would be better to sell them both and pick up another u2311h.
 
Ahh, I thought the U2311h had a DP port but since he didn't mention it I guessed it didn't.

But he can do Eyefinity with the conflicting resolution, it will just set all the monitors to whatever the 19" one is (1680x1050?). It's not *that* bad and the resolution restriction is only for gaming, for extended desktop mode it doesn't matter. But yea, would be better to sell them both and pick up another u2311h.

That is the nice thing about [H]ardforums hotlinking words to sites selling the product because you can bring up spec right away :)
 
Back
Top