Can I reinstall Windows XP on a Dell from a generic OEM disc?

DblClipTite

Weaksauce
I'm trying to fix a friend's Dell Dimension 8300 that fails to boot into Windows with a blue screen of death (BSOD).

I've run some tests and the hard drive appears to be damaged and failing. I can't image the hard drive, chkdsk fails to complete, and a WIndows repair installation failed.

My friend doesn't have the system discs that came with the computer. I have a generic (not from a PC maker) WIndows XP Home OEM disc that I bought for a custom whitebox system.

Would there be any problem with installing a new hard drive in the Dell and then reinstalling Windows from the generic OEM disc, and using the Windows product key from the Dell?

It should work fine.

If it doesn't, find someone with a Dell XP CD or find a way to download it.

I remember that Dell XP CDs were tied to the Dell hardware - you couldn't use them for non-Dell or non-OEM installs. IIRC, too - you need to have an OEM disk to use an OEM key.

It will not activate with the key from the COA sticker, I've had this problem with my IBM thinkpad. I like installing a clean OS load instead of the OEM disk with all the preloaded crap.

But there is a work around. You can use a standard OEM XP SP2/SP3 disc, install with any CDKEY, or I think in the case of SP3, you can install in 30day grace period mode. Then I use the geninue key upgrade tool from Microsoft and it will accept the IBM OEM key http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx

Should work for Dell also.

IIRC, too - you need to have an OEM disk to use an OEM key.

Yeah, that would be a problem. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

The Dell OEM discs are just tied to the motherboard, and it wouldn't be a problem for the hard drive to be replaced, correct? In case I can get my hands on a Dell OEM disc.

It will not activate with the key from the COA sticker...But there is a work around.

Wow, that's really weird that it won't accept it in the first place, but will after using that tool. I've never heard of that tool before, thanks very much for the suggestion.

You can use a standard OEM XP SP2/SP3 disc, install with any CDKEY, or I think in the case of SP3, you can install in 30day grace period mode. Then I use the geninue key upgrade tool from Microsoft and it will accept the IBM OEM key http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx

I don't think it would activate with the product key from my generic OEM XP SP2 disc, since that's now tied to my whitebox hardware, and I definitely don't want to do anything to screw up my OEM license / Windows installation on my whitebox. Are you saying just put in that product key to get through the installation process on the Dell, don't activate, then run the key upgrade tool, then activate? And that wouldn't pose any problem with my OEM license / whitebox installation?

Are you required to enter a product key to get Windows installed?

I've done it. Actually, I've used an HP restore disc on a Dell machine in one scenario, and both machines still pass WGA.

I remember that Dell XP CDs were tied to the Dell hardware - you couldn't use them for non-Dell or non-OEM installs. IIRC, too - you need to have an OEM disk to use an OEM key.
Strange. Twice I've used a Dell branded XP OEM disc to reinstall an OS using an OEM key. Once about 5 years ago and once about 2 months ago.

I think you are mistaken a 'dell XP cd' with possibly a recovery disc which often is not the actual OS but an image of the default configuration. You can't use that on other machines since the hardware doesn't match the machine the image was configured on.

The Dell OS CD is just the OS. It's designed to check the BIOS of the Dell and pull the key from that, so it never asks you, it's like a more unattended install.

I've used non Dell CDs to rebuild Dells..they work fine, they're not coded to pull the license from the Dells BIOS, it's a crapshoot if the Dell serial key from the sticker on the PC will work.

If it is a new hard drive, why don't you at least give it a shot?

Worst Case Scenario - CD key not accepted. If so, use the CD key that came with the disc for installation. Then switch to the Dell CD key using RockXP or some other tool.

Most likely scenario - the CD key will be fine. If it doesn't want to activate, call Microsoft and say Dell never supplied the owner with any discs, they'll give you a code to activate the system by phone.

I remember that Dell XP CDs were tied to the Dell hardware - you couldn't use them for non-Dell or non-OEM installs.
Nope. I've used a Dell OEM disk on others with no problem.....and used the OEM key on the computer. In the PAST, I had an issue once with a Comcrap disk not installing on anything but a Compaq motherboard......but that only happened once.

I've done it. Actually, I've used an HP restore disc on a Dell machine in one scenario, and both machines still pass WGA.

Me too. It's been hit or miss though, depending on the disk and computers.

To the OP: You can always just call Dell and request a replacement disk. You'd only have to pay for shipping. Just have your computer's serial number, item number and service tag handy.

You can also order them online here: https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

Back