Can I raid 0 a 300gig raptor - WD3000HLFS and a WD3000GLFS?

[H]'er

Supreme [H]ardness
I guess they have different ms raitings...but will that trash the raid? Or will the faster one just write slower, and not cause problems?

That should work with no problem; it's not like you're pairing two vastly dissimilar drives.

it will work, but you will be constrained to the performance of the lower speed drive. purists would tell you not to do it, but it has been done many times successfully.

ms ratings?
AFIK the only difference between the velociraptors is different icepak configurations
1. regular icepak
2. icepak with connections integrated so the drive fits in 3.5 hotswap bays
3. no icepak

I'd recommend selling both drives and purchasing some 500GB platter samsungs

ms ratings?
I'd recommend selling both drives and purchasing some 500GB platter samsungs

Umm, that would be slower, no real need for huge space, i've got the 6TB NAS to take care of that.

[H]'er;1035008511 said:
Umm, that would be slower, no real need for huge space, i've got the 6TB NAS to take care of that.
zkfsxf.png

2n1crr4.png

wow very nice. yea some of the newer drives are faster than the raptors. 500gb platters rock. but i would go with the caviar blacks personally. i didnt really check the distinction of the op;s drives before i posted, however, for reference, if is okay to mix drives.

So seek times don't matter anymore?

Is that a single 500? Or raided?

[H]'er;1035008758 said:
So seek times don't matter anymore?

Is that a single 500? Or raided?
Seek times are important, but the difference from 15 to 7 is hard to notice. Compare that to the seek times you get with an SSD (<0.1 sec).
Also, for the price of velociraptors, you can RAID several of these drives, and "short stroke" them by creating a small partition which will give you comparable access times.

Yes, that is a single drive. Here are 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ RAID0 on ICH10R

ineiyr.png

o0yw3r.png

Seek time is probably more noticeable then the difference in mb/s in a sequential reads/writes between the two setups in real world performance. Either setup can be short stroked.

If you already have a velociraptor just stick with it for RAID. I don't think you gain or lose much by switch to 500GB platter setup. It would just be a waste of time.

Seek time is probably more noticeable then the difference in mb/s in a sequential reads/writes between the two setups in real world performance. Either setup can be short stroked.

If you already have a velociraptor just stick with it for RAID. I don't think you gain or lose much by switch to 500GB platter setup. It would just be a waste of time.
I agree it's unlikely you'll notice anything without benchmarks, but the VelociRaptor is almost 4x the cost ($200 vs $55). That's a difference of $290 if you buy 2 drives. I doubt you'd notice the small increase in throughput from the Samsungs or the decreased access times from the VelociRaptors, but I know I would notice the extra $300 in my pocket.

You could get 4 Samsungs for vastly more throughput and still come out ahead $180. And that's worth considering since throughput is the main benefit of RAID0.

I know the OP probably already has his drives and doesn't want to mess with selling them and buying new ones, I just thought I would point out how fast these Samsungs are - they don't seem to be getting much attention for some reason.

I agree it's unlikely you'll notice anything without benchmarks, but the VelociRaptor is almost 4x the cost ($200 vs $55). That's a difference of $290 if you buy 2 drives. I doubt you'd notice the small increase in throughput from the Samsungs or the decreased access times from the VelociRaptors, but I know I would notice the extra $300 in my pocket.

You could get 4 Samsungs for vastly more throughput and still come out ahead $180. And that's worth considering since throughput is the main benefit of RAID0.

I know the OP probably already has his drives and doesn't want to mess with selling them and buying new ones, I just thought I would point out how fast these Samsungs are - they don't seem to be getting much attention for some reason.

You have more than answered my questions! You have been very helpful! I think you very much! I didn't know that other drives were so good! You are right, I would buy the drives and raid them, but I already have the raptor drives :)

I just didn't want a raid0 setup that would be unstable.

Is there anything I need to do using my EP-45
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2951

NCQ is working, according to HD tune...but I just want to make sure all my bases are ready.

[H]'er;1035009859 said:
You have more than answered my questions! You have been very helpful! I think you very much! I didn't know that other drives were so good! You are right, I would buy the drives and raid them, but I already have the raptor drives :)

I just didn't want a raid0 setup that would be unstable.

Is there anything I need to do using my EP-45
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2951

NCQ is working, according to HD tune...but I just want to make sure all my bases are ready.
you might check the firmware versions on your drives and see if they match up, if they do, I say go for it

And if they don't?

Is the firmware printed on them, if not how do I check it?

[H]'er;1035019714 said:
And if they don't?

Is the firmware printed on them, if not how do I check it?
well either way you should have a backup, you do have a backup, right?
I think the WD diagnostic program should tell you

I just got a 1TB Hitachi 7K1000.B. How does it stack up against the 500GB. I haven't seen many benchmarks. Specifically the 7K1000.B against the 500GB that you're talking about.

Last edited:
Just run that program and see what it does. It is free...

Ender is exactly correct.

The only difference between all the vRaptors is the icepack config.
I currently run BLFS and HLFS in R0 with no problems.

I just got a 1TB Hitachi 7K1000.B. How does it stack up against the 500GB. I haven't seen many benchmarks. Specifically the 7K1000.B against the 500GB that you're talking about.

While its still a good drive I believe its a generation behind. Its a 3x333GB platter drive vs a 500GB platter drive. The 1TB Hitachi is slower.

Back