Can I put HL2 on two computers?

erkan

Gawd
Im about to order HL2 through steam, but I have a question...
I would like to be able to play this game while im at my dorm at school, and also on my computer back at home, is it possible to download the game on 2 seperate computers and play when ever?

I'm not 100% positive, but i would have to say probably not.

The account might get blocked because the servers will see two seperate IP addresses using the same account.

Yes and no.

The game actually ties to your Steam account, not to your computer. So, you could install it wherever you want, as long as you can sign in to Steam from that computer. However, you can't be signed in at more than one computer, so just be careful that Steam doesn't auto-sign-in, or you'll find yourself unable to play.

Disclaimer: this is what's been said by Valve regarding Steam. There may be some difference I don't know about in the end, but until we get our hands on the finished product, this is all the info we have. Perhaps someone with CS:S can verify this.

^^^^ yeah u can install on both comps and play.. both not at the same time.. that's all so u should be good to go

If you have one computer start up in offline mode, then you should be able to play it on both...might not be allowed by steam, but you should be able to do that.

to get into offline mode you must first be connected to the internet to log into steam and set to auto logon, restart steam and get loged on again, then what u do is get off the internet(unplug, disable the connection) and restart your computer. steam will say cant logon to steam network and give you two choices, start in offline mode or retry

choose offline mode and then enable your connection or plug back in as steam will stay in offline mode till you restart.

Vanskater said:
to get into offline mode you must first be connected to the internet to log into steam and set to auto logon, restart steam and get loged on again, then what u do is get off the internet(unplug, disable the connection) and restart your computer. steam will say cant logon to steam network and give you two choices, start in offline mode or retry

choose offline mode and then enable your connection or plug back in as steam will stay in offline mode till you restart.

Also you have to close your eyes, click your heels together 3 times while saying "there's no place like home"

you can also log into the same account more then once

only thing that will happen is that steam will say your steam_user ID ticket has expired you just have to reenter you email and password

only problem is you can play on the same server

So...you will HAVE to have steam to be able to play HL2? Does steam come with HL2 in if you have to have steam...This is so stupid of valve, but I understand why they do it, but in the end it hurts me because I buy all my games:(

I had Steam installed on my second PC and let a friend try to play while I was playing. We could play CSS online at the same time, but not in the same server. But it still let us.

C4rniV0r said:
Also you have to close your eyes, click your heels together 3 times while saying "there's no place like home"
I was just going to say that is fucking gay. Wow, Valve and Steam are completely retarded.

This however is just my opinion and doesn't reflect the drones of other mindless zombies who happen to like Steam.

Just kidding about the drones of mindless zombies comment. :D

Cryptic said:
So...you will HAVE to have steam to be able to play HL2? Does steam come with HL2 in if you have to have steam...This is so stupid of valve, but I understand why they do it, but in the end it hurts me because I buy all my games:(

i belive there will be anoption just like with cs:cz where you can do a non steam install or a steam install if you allready have it

i also belive since cs:s is hl2's multi that it will install steam if you do not allready have it so you can play cs:s

Yes you can play on both computers, just make sure you logout when your done so that you can log in on the other computer. Also one person could be playing single player on one comptuer in offline mode while the other plays multi online, or both could play SP offline.

Steam isnt bad, it runs perfectly fine and allows them to relase patches on the fly like MMO's

It had problems awhile back, people still keep bashing it b/c they havent used it in over a year. Theres nothign wrong with it. Also for people worried about having a physical copy they are working on adding a backup feature to steam which will allow you to backup everything you have downloaded through steam onto a DVD.

And if your mad that you cant jsut install the game on two computers and play you shouldnt be b/c if you read the EULA of games you buy it is in fact ILLEGAL to install a game on two different computers, even if you own both computers and only play the game on one at a time, it is still Illegal to have it installed on 2 computers. So if companies start finding ways to enforce it dont act like they are screwing you. You were taking advantage of the system before.

@TheGamerZ
So Dial-Up users are screwed? Our IP's are server assigned so it's different each time :(

Back