Can I put an old PCI card in the last slot of my Mobo?

Jasonizer

Weaksauce
Stupid question here, can I put an old PCI card in the last slot of my Asus A7N8X motherboard? or does it have to go into the first slot? Just wonder, I thought I would buy a tnt2 m64 junker or Radeon ve junker to keep my puter quiet & cool, when i'm not gaming.

Is there something inherent about the last slot that concerns you? If it is an AGP board, the first slot and AGP port may share IRQ's which you might want to avoid. As for the last slot, I don't know what to say.

A PCI slot is a PCI slot
1st one should be no different than the last one.

Thanks for the info, suppose I should have known as I had a monster 4mb addon card back in the day.

I am going to get the ASUS A7000 32mb 1.5v agp, looks quiet & cool.
a7000-x_l.jpg

It's gotta be cooler than my 9800 Pro with my Arctic Cooler @1200rpm's.

Jasonizer said:
Thanks for the info, suppose I should have known as I had a monster 4mb addon card back in the day.

I am going to get the ASUS A7000 32mb 1.5v agp, looks quiet & cool.
a7000-x_l.jpg

It's gotta be cooler than my 9800 Pro with my Arctic Cooler @1200rpm's.

Are you going to play any recent games at all whatsoever on that PC? If so, then the A7000 is not for you, since it lacks all hardware T&L support whatsoever (well, it uses the Radeon 7000/Radeon VE GPU, duh!). And that's not to mention that it supports only DirectX 7.0 features.

If on the other hand that PC is going to be used strictly for Web sufing and email (and no gaming at all whatsoever), then it would suffice.

E4g1e said:
If on the other hand that PC is going to be used strictly for Web sufing and email (and no gaming at all whatsoever), then it would suffice.

Yep thats about it!

Back