Can i power passive USB 2.0 hub?

postcd

Weaksauce
Hello,

i think my keyboard draws too much power because numerous times a day it disconnect and then connects again. Especialy it disconnects when i turn the wheel to increase backlight intensity and then can not hold conencted when intensity is high.

QUESTION:
i am thinking about this, can i add more power to my passive 2.0 USB hub by connecting USB 2.0 cable which will go from the electricity power socket? WIll i damage something by doing this, will it add more power to remaining USB ports?

You will not be adding more power to the hub if you connect a USB cord from a power socket to one of its ports. You would need a properly powered hub like this one. I use several hubs made by Amazon and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80

What kind of keyboard do you have? I know that Corsair's keyboards support plugging in just one USB if you plug it into a USB 3.1 port, so you would just need to plug it into one of the ports on your motherboard if it has USB 3.0/3.1 ports. It's the connector from the keyboard that has the keyboard icon on it, and the port needs to have blue coloration. If it's from another manufacturer then you would need to reference their respective manual.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
what he said^. you have to get a powered hub or run an extension to the i/o panel.

Back