Can I pass the Network+?

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I've read the Network+ study guide through once.

I took one of their sample tests, and I had only 40%.

How realistic is it to think that I can spend basically 7 entire days of studying, and pass it?

How much experience do you have with Networking? 40% is very low, if you are into networking and know a lot about it then you should get 60%+ without even reading or studying for it.

The Net+ was easy for me, I passed that with my eyes closed basically.

I wouldn't expect to pass only reading the book once without any practical experience...

How come your wanting to take the Network+ test if you have no experience with it?

Matt,

I said I have 40% reading it once... I'm asking about not only that, but studying and memorizing for the next 7 days. :p

Zigg, so I can get my certification before the CompTIA Deadline...

The three years isn't that big of a deal killer. After 3 years you should have experience and other certifications that'll make that Network+ look weak in comparison. Also, in 3 years networking changes. It's always good to be up to date.

But the other certifications reset, too... And I bet the comptia won't look as weak now that they reset.

I found a post by a net admin on google, and it sounds like without experience, there's no way I'll pass - especially with only another week to study. . . He said there's a number of things on the test that you simply won't know without experience...

Guess I'll give up on trying for it :)

The three years isn't that big of a deal killer. After 3 years you should have experience and other certifications that'll make that Network+ look weak in comparison. Also, in 3 years networking changes. It's always good to be up to date.

This. If you still care about the Network+ in 3 years you're doing something very wrong.

So, I've read the Network+ study guide through once.

I took one of their sample tests, and I had only 40%.

How realistic is it to think that I can spend basically 7 entire days of studying, and pass it?

Link to the sample test?

They are making net+ certs expire? I assume existing ones will be grandfathered?

Net+ is not a hard test. I've never been a fan of cramming. Better to just spend a half hour a day or so casually reading for weeks beforehand than to go crazy the week of. You retain the knowledge better, too.

If you're really pursuing it as a career, as others have said, you're likely to have a far more impressive set of certifications within 3 years, and the background knowledge to get recertified with minimal fuss.

You may be able to pass it with cramming, but you'll be better off actually learning the material. With a bit of studying every day for weeks, I got an 846 out of a possible 900 (iirc minimum to pass was in the 600s) way back when I took it.

You need 720 to pass.

They are making them expire, and they will be grandfathered in.

I'm with you on studying slowly, but I'm trying to beat the deadline.. Dec 31.

I did a little bit of studying every day for weeks, like you.. got 40% :p.

Did you have experience ? I have none.

Study your ass off man and good luck. ;)

I don't know, probably not. Sounds like I won't pass without experience. . I'm pretty beat from studying hardcore for the A+, another week for networking and not being sure I'll pass, is rough.

That's my take on it. If in 3 years you haven't progressed to a more advanced cert (Cisco, Juniper, etc.), you may need to look at a different focus in your career. Besides, 3 years networking experience pretty much trumps the Network+.

But, 7 days with no experience will be tough. Doable, but tough. With hands on experience, most of the exam is cake without studying. You can apply the concepts to the questions with a best guess.

Good luck. Let us know if you pass. Just remember, it's a big cost on such a gamble.

Same boat. What books are guys using? I was using Mike Meyer's passport guide. I've switched over to watching Prof Messer videos. I'll probably just take my time studying over this winter break.

Post kinda related. I'm attempting to get the Security+ before the deadline and just bought a kindle version of a study guide. I think you can very easily pass any of the comptia exams as they really are entry-level if you read a book and memorize the concepts and ideas and not just facts.

You need 720 to pass.

They are making them expire, and they will be grandfathered in.

I'm with you on studying slowly, but I'm trying to beat the deadline.. Dec 31.

I did a little bit of studying every day for weeks, like you.. got 40% :p.

Did you have experience ? I have none.

Nothing professional, just basic home networking.

Some practice tests are more difficult than the actual. Others are easier. Idk which yours is.

Are you planning on getting more certs? Net plus is a real entry level one. 3 years wont matter if you manage to get MCSE or Cisco before then.

Im nearing 7 years since I got net+. At this point, very little of it is actually relevant anymore. I don't even list it on my resume any more. I could apply for a networking job, but id be lying if I claimed my net+ made me qualified for it.

In 3 years, ill still have a valid net+ certification and someone who gets it i 11 days wont, but either way we are both completely outdated. If you want to augment net+ with more certs and IT experience, then having it expire wont matter. If you plan to get a job on it alone, I wouldn't want to hire someone who claims to be qualified because they crammed for a test three years ago.

Cramming for tests just to check a box on a resume is a waste of money. The point of the tests is to quantify your level of knowledge and experience in some way. Cramming or studying brain dumps just to pass a test won't actually make you any good at your job. I'd argue that most CompTIA tests won't make you good at anything anyway, but that's another story. My A+ is over 10 years old now but I've taken around 30+ exams since then I think.

Going for these type of certs means you need a best friend.

And that best friend is an inexpensive TechNet Plus subscription and some spare hardware.

With that you can create just about ANY network scenario you would find in a business environment, and get some hands-on.

I hear that there's a lot of CCNA holders with no experience in the market, and hiring managers prefer candidates with experience. How does one get experience, especially with a Network+?

Back