can i overide a default domain policy setting with another GP ?

T

troyquigley

years ago when i setup our 2003 server domain i made the huge mistake of using "folder redirection" (and i applied it at the "default domain policy" level)

now that we are starting to move to windows 7 64bit, i am finding a fair number of programs that error because of "my documents" being re-directed.

i was wondering if i could just create a NEW GPO that disabled "folder redirection" and then create a new global group and put the new windows 7 users in it. that way nothing changes for all the current users and the new users will not have to deal with the issue anymore.

Read up on GPO precedence. Yes, you certain can do what you describe. And given the way folder redirection works, you can even apply it to your existing users, one user at a time ( security filtering ); if configured correctly, their data will follow to the new folder locations.

I'm guessing you've already learned this; don't monkey with the default domain GPO. There is no need to, it's bad mojo.

Read up on GPO precedence. Yes, you certain can do what you describe. And given the way folder redirection works, you can even apply it to your existing users, one user at a time ( security filtering ); if configured correctly, their data will follow to the new folder locations.

I'm guessing you've already learned this; don't monkey with the default domain GPO. There is no need to, it's bad mojo.

yeah. i am starting our 2008 server setup's and you KNOW there will be zero changes done to the default GPO.

Back