Can i load XP on a HP dv6830us?

zombeh

[H]ard|Gawd
My friend wants me to put XP on her HP Pavilion dv6830us because it came pre-loaded with Vista. Has anyone here done it? Google is not helping me.

HOWTO:

Here is how i did it for future google readers (since i googled my problem and this thread was #1).

1. Downloaded intel ahci drivers.
2. Slipstreamed driver FOLDER using Nlite.
3. Used standard PNP driver mode.
4. burnt direct image
5. Boot from cd.

Thanks for your help guys, i never knew about slipstreaming drivers onto a XP cd. Thanks a lot!

Of course you can. [/url]
That's no fun, this was supposed to end up being a mass conspiracy where we convince a person with 1.5 YEARS on these forums that you can't install XP on a new laptop.

Heck, I got XP64 running on two laptops that come with no XP64 support whatsoever. A little google and a little patience and I got drivers for almost everything.

Of course you can.
c'mon, really.

Well I've installed Xp on a laptop that came pre-loaded vista a while back and it didn't work. I know a lot of laptops a year back with vista wouldn't work but i guess they fixed that now?

I know a lot of laptops a year back with vista wouldn't work but i guess they fixed that now?
No, they haven't "fixed" it because it's not broken.

It might be a bit of a hassle to track down drivers if it's not on one page like that HP model, and understand the difference between IDE and native SATA mode for laptops with SATA hard drives. But neither of those things prevent running XP on a new standard PC laptop. You just need to learn how to install XP on newer hardware. XP came out 6.5 years ago and the lastest install media (or based on) is coming up on 4 years old in August.

There still isn't Vista-only hardware shipping yet and probably won't be until XP becomes a minor part of the install base in a few years (or Creative becomes too lazy with drivers). :p

Well I've installed Xp on a laptop that came pre-loaded vista a while back and it didn't work. I know a lot of laptops a year back with vista wouldn't work but i guess they fixed that now?
It was never broken to begin with. It meant you actually had to do a little work before hand, to find the XP drivers. If the OEM didn't provide them, you'd have to get them elsewhere. This was especially true with laptop built on the Centrino platforms, as Intel always had drivers available.
c'mon, really.
This is why it probably didn't work for you in the past, because if you weren't willing to spend 30 seconds going to HP's website to check, you probably weren't willing to hit up Google or other hardware manufacturer's websites to find the drivers.

Well im trying to install xp from the cd in bios and its saying Xp disc cannot find any hard drives intalled on your computer, please make sure the disks are powered on etc.....then it restarts. I've installed Xp numerous times and never ran into this problem.

Is there an option in the BIOS about AHCI and Legacy/IDE modes? It needs to be in the latter unless you have AHCI drivers available to produce before setup.

Look for a SATA option in the bios that lists RAID, IDE, Legacy, or AHCI (in any combination). Puttin it in IDE or Legacy mode forces it to emulate an IDE controller so XP can see it.

Otherwise, you'll need to load the SATA controller's driver (Press F6 to load drivers thing during setup). The problem is that XP requires a floppy drive to load drivers. If you don't have one and can't get a USB floppy (sometimes works sometimes doesn't), then you you'll have to slipstream the drivers into the install media.

theres nothing in bios that lets me change anything for harddrives. its weird. this is a laptop btw.

It's not weird, it's a typcial OEM locked BIOS. You'll have to find a way to load the drivers during setup then.

well shit, she only gave me the laptop, battery cable and XP cd. How can i load drivers? usb thumb drive? and which drivers do i need?

well shit, she only gave me the laptop, battery cable and XP cd. How can i load drivers? usb thumb drive? and which drivers do i need?

arrrrrruuuugghereeeree......hmmm. You'll have to find the drivers on HP's site. They'll mention something about driver diskette or floppy image or something. As for a USB thumb drive, I don't think XP will see it unless you BIOS maps it to A:. XP is hardwired to look for outside drivers only on A: (oops Microsoft).

Use nLite then. Don't remove features from the XP disc, just add-in the SATA drivers.

On my Sager laptop, in the BIOS there's a vague option for "Intel Robson". If I enable it, the hard drive is automatically in AHCI mode. If I disable it, it switches to "Compatible" mode. Since I run XP64 and don't have any Robson memory (that stuff for Readyboost) I have it disabled and the drive is in standard ATA mode.

Do you see any such option on yours?

On my Sager laptop, in the BIOS there's a vague option for "Intel Robson". If I enable it, the hard drive is automatically in AHCI mode. If I disable it, it switches to "Compatible" mode. Since I run XP64 and don't have any Robson memory (that stuff for Readyboost) I have it disabled and the drive is in standard ATA mode.

Do you see any such option on yours?

Nope, my options are very limited in the laptops bios. Im trying to figure out this nlite program. will report back in a few.

Use nLite then. Don't remove features from the XP disc, just add-in the SATA drivers.

when i go to add drivers in NLITE, it's asking for a .inf file but the driver i downloaded it an exe app and it wont extract on my computer.

You have to find the floppy drivers to download, not the ones that you'd install in Windows already. Sometimes they are both in the same archive file. Try extracting the .exe file.

when i go to add drivers in NLITE, it's asking for a .inf file but the driver i downloaded it an exe app and it wont extract on my computer.

I have the floppy drivers, some people on page 1 linked me but maybe its the wrong driver, can you help me find the right one?when i try to execute nothing happens.

Well which .inf file do i slipstream into the xp cd? I can't find any that have achi or harddrive in their names.

The file I linked you has the driver you need. You just need to extract them using WinRar or whatever you use, then use WinImage to open the .ima file and get to the actual drivers. The .inf file is IAAHCI.inf, but you also need the other files since they're the actual drivers.

The file I linked you has the driver you need. You just need to extract them using WinRar or whatever you use, then use WinImage to open the .ima file and get to the actual drivers. The .inf file is IAAHCI.inf, but you also need the other files since they're the actual drivers.

Ok well when i go to Insert multiple driver folder, it shows the folder you linked me to then it asks if i want the text mode or regular PNP mode, i do PNP mode right? Then do a direct burn?

Ok well when i go to Insert multiple driver folder, it shows the folder you linked me to then it asks if i want the text mode or regular PNP mode, i do PNP mode right? Then do a direct burn?

It's been soo long since I used nLite, but I think text mode uses sets the drivers up to load during the text mode portion of the installation. That's where you need them to load otherwise, you won't be able to see your hard drive to get the the PNP mode.

Why wouldn't it work?
I tried to get XP on a Vista laptop once at work over the summer. Had to slipstream on HDD drivers, and even then I couldn't find any XP sound drivers.

Was a shame there was no Novell client for Vista, because Vista looked beautiful on that thing.

It's been soo long since I used nLite, but I think text mode uses sets the drivers up to load during the text mode portion of the installation. That's where you need them to load otherwise, you won't be able to see your hard drive to get the the PNP mode.

Well now the cd drive isn't detecting the cd, hmm

I think by now, I would have just gone back to Vista.

I'm doing this for a client. I run a computer repair hobby from my home. She lives in a different city so i would like to do this for her so she doesn't waste her trip.

Nice it finally worked. Here is how i did it for future google readers.

1. Downloaded intel ahci drivers.
2. Slipstreamed driver FOLDER using Nlite.
3. Used standard PNP driver mode.
4. burnt direct image
5. Boot from cd.

Thanks for your help guys, i never knew about slipstreaming drivers onto a XP cd. Thanks a lot!

zombeh, can you help me with the sata drives? I've downloaded about 10 drives and I can`t boot my dv6830us with the xp x64. You tried with x64 installation?

Your lappy has a recovery partion that keeps the new instal from seeing a hard drive. 2 options, bootup with a lets say a win 98 boot disk and fdisk your harddrive and get rid of the 2 partitions or take the hard drive out and put it into another computer and format it, I find the second one easier.

Back