Can I install Vista on a SATA drive without a floppy disc?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Guys,

We all remember the old XP for SATA.

How about vista?

Same issue? Or better?

Yes, you can. You can USB flash drive instead of floppy.

Would an external 2.5" HDD enclosure that plugs in through USB work the same? or not?

You can't install Vista on an external hard drive. It's internal or nothing at all... Windows ain't OSX, yanno. :)

If you meant "Can Vista get to SATA drivers from an external USB drive connected that has the drivers in a folder" then yeah, it should be able to because it now allows you to browse through folder structures.

Hope this helps...

If you meant "Can Vista get to SATA drivers from an external USB drive connected that has the drivers in a folder" then yeah, it should be able to because it now allows you to browse through folder structures.

Hope this helps...

Yep thats what I meant :) At least I know I won't have to whip out a stiffy drive :D

Yes, as the others said: you can use a USB stick with the drivers on it, or another CD with the drivers... And any USB storage device should work.

It doesn't unless your drivers are obscure. Vista installed on my SATA drive without any help whatsoever.
Vista should have the drivers built in for chipsets available now. I stress the word should.

Even XP can install fresh on a SATA harddrive, from a SATA optical drive without a floppy. Worked fine on the system in my rig and in others I have setup....

XP had native support for this, why wouldn't Vista?

Seems like a silly question to me.

Vista should have the drivers built in for chipsets available now. I stress the word should.

Well they did install some variation of the chipset drivers for me, but there labeled
as Microsofts not Intels latest on my Bad Axe 2.

When I tried to install/update them after downloading them from Intels website they
would not install. They are suppose to be Vista ready, and I tried "run as adminstrator"...no go on them...

So, did I /we miss something akin to the F6 in XP when installing Vista in the first place?

It seems some people are having that problem with the Bad Axe 2 board. I've installed Vista on a number of Intel based boards, without issue, including three based on the 965 chipset. Intel's support has always been good about getting back to me with a solution, so you could try them.

It seems some people are having that problem with the Bad Axe 2 board. I've installed Vista on a number of Intel based boards, without issue, including three based on the 965 chipset. Intel's support has always been good about getting back to me with a solution, so you could try them.

Just curious, got some linkage for there support?
I beleive Bad Axe 2's are 975X chipset.

thanks

i dont need any drivers in either vista, xp or win2k to use my sata hdd, or dvd burner. the only time you should need them is if the ports are provided via a raid controller or other pci connected controller. On chipset sata ports should work just as ide ports do.

the only time you should need them is if the ports are provided via a raid controller or other pci connected controller. On chipset sata ports should work just as ide ports do.
Not 100% true. Some of the first mobo's that came out with SATA support needed the F6 drivers for the drive, for either RAID or as a single drive. A lot of VIA chipset boards from the "early days" of SATA were that way. I had a 865P (I think it was) chipset board that needed the drivers for a single SATA drive, until a BIOS update got around that.

thats because alot of those first boards didnt have chipset integrated sata, just silicon image or some other brands pci controller tagged onto the board.

Vista installed just fine on ASUS A8N32-SLI using a SEagate Sata2 250gb harddrive. No additional drivers needed. :D

Even XP can install fresh on a SATA harddrive, from a SATA optical drive without a floppy. Worked fine on the system in my rig and in others I have setup....

XP had native support for this, why wouldn't Vista?

Seems like a silly question to me.
Yeah I never had a problem either. I installed XP to a SATA hard drive without a driver four or so years ago even.

I think it has to do partially with the Intel chipsets. XP and Vista are very friendly with them. Setting the SATA to "Legacy IDE" in the BIOS makes it answer like an IDE controller that these OS's apparently have drivers for out of the box.

thats because alot of those first boards didnt have chipset integrated sata, just silicon image or some other brands pci controller tagged onto the board.
Um, the 865PE (MSI 865PE Neo2 series to be exact) and the various VIA chipset boards I used to install didn't have a 3rd party SATA controller... Trust me, some of those older chipsets that had SATA built into the main chipset needed the F6 drivers for any level of SATA use. There was no such thing as "Legacy IDE" or such on some of those older boards.

Back