Can I have a RAID0 and a RAID10 in one system?

ymc

n00b
I am planning to buy six SATA HDDs for my system. Two are WD Velociraptor 10k RPM 300GB and four are Hitachi 7200RPM 1TBs. I plan to put the two WDs in RAID0 for OS/Apps/Swap and the Hitachis in RAID10 for data.

I am planning to use the onboard RAID on my Intel S5520SC board. I am running CentOS Linux. Can the onboard RAID allow such setup???

If you are using linux you only should use the motherboard/fake raid if you want to dual boot with windows. mdadm is better and more manageable than dmraid.

With that said mdadm and dmraid will both support having multiple raid arrays.

Your board appears to have only one built-in raid controller, an ICH10R. As far as I can tell that controller will not allow you to create 2 separate raid arrays, though I am not 100% on that. However, it will allow you to create a Raid 0+5 array, basically you put 6 drives of the same size into the system and then have, for example, 100GB per drive set aside as raid 0, and 900GB per drive for the Raid 5.

For what you are trying to do you will probably have to add in a raid controller. Intel has some specifically designed for their server and workstation boards, but the price is probably kind of high. A cheaper off-brand might be the way to go.

ICH10R can run multiple arrays, you shouldn't have any issues although I don't know why'd you want RAID 10 just for data.

ICH10R can run multiple arrays, you shouldn't have any issues although I don't know why'd you want RAID 10 just for data.

OS and Apps can be reinstalled but the data are important. I don't trust onboard RAID5 and the Hitachi drives are cheap, so I went with RAID10.

I mostly use my computer to do calculations. So it is not that costly if there is downtime due to drive failure in RAID0.

If you don't trust onboard RAID 5, why trust onboard RAID 10? Might as well dumb it down and just go RAID 1 so it's not doing any striping either.

If you don't trust onboard RAID 5, why trust onboard RAID 10? Might as well dumb it down and just go RAID 1 so it's not doing any striping either.

Isn't raid10 supposedly much simpler??? Even HBAs support RAID10.

RAID1 uses the same space as RAID10, so why not use RAID10 when I can because RAID10 is faster?

You're still mirroring and then striping data with RAID 10 (1+0). RAID 5 is just striped with parity across the disks and then RAID 1 is just a simple mirror.

You're still mirroring and then striping data with RAID 10 (1+0). RAID 5 is just striped with parity across the disks and then RAID 1 is just a simple mirror.

So why not RAID10 over RAID1???

I think the advantage of RAID1 over RAID10 is that you can still have half of the data if one drive and one mirror die. But in RAID10 if that happens, then the whole thing is gone.

But then RAID1 is slower than RAID10

I say use RAID 5 if it's just for data storage and not performance, you'll have more space. If you don't trust ICH10R doing RAID 5, then why trust it running RAID 10, buy a controller if you're that concerned about your data. You should be taking backups of the important stuff anyway, not just relying on RAID.

No need to buy a controller. In linux you are supposed to use the OS raid which is very good.

I say use RAID 5 if it's just for data storage and not performance, you'll have more space. If you don't trust ICH10R doing RAID 5, then why trust it running RAID 10, buy a controller if you're that concerned about your data. You should be taking backups of the important stuff anyway, not just relying on RAID.

I am using the drives for CPU and memory intensive computation that can take days. That's why always on ability provided by RAID is desirable. Of course I will also backup my data periodically.

In the beginning 2TB from RAID10 should be enough. When I need more than 2TB, then I can switch to RAID5.

No need to buy a controller. In linux you are supposed to use the OS raid which is very good.

It appears to me that Linux can only treat ICH10R as a SATA controller but can't use to RAID. Is that true?

You need dmraid to access your bios raid in linux. But again its better to use mdadm and forget about the bios raid altogether. Both mdadm and dmraid are in the linux kernel.

Back