Can I get hacked if someones knows my ip adress ?

Saint

Limp Gawd
The reason im asking is one im a noob with security and two I have been threatened many times. I play Halo alot on the internet and host alot of games. While in a game you can see the ip of the server your on. I have had people who get mad cause I beat them threten to hack me and stuff. They say like I know your ip im going to hack you. My question is am I really at risk or are they just mad idiots. I dont even know how they would do it. I mean what can you do with an ip if my dsl modem has a firewall. Should I take these threats seriously or not.

Short answer, no...for the most part.

IF you are relatively secure (behind a firewall/router, are fully patched, run anti-virus/spyware tools, etc) then you should be fine. Most guys are either not compentent enough to get through those defenses or aren't willing to take the time.

Now there are serious crackers out there who could do it if they dedicated themselves, but these guys are exceedingly rare and are spending their time doing more worthwhile things that make them big $$.

So generally if you hear that some |337 D00z is going to haX0r j00, it is a load of horseshit.

If possible configuring a hardware firewall, whether it be router with built in function or something like ipcop or smoothwall to act as your firewall. As always make sure you have password on all of your user accounts, make sure they meet complexity requirements and verify it is not a dictionary word. google turning off the LMhash if youre extra paranoid, hopefully youre running xp pro and you can encrypt your drive as well. Turn of unecessary services, if you dont need it turn off file and print sharing etc.

generally though most of the threats youre gonna get from people on games reach the point of them doing a port scan and then not having a clue of what to do.

The biggest mistake that 99% of the people in the vlan's we have in class make are no passwords / no encryption. you can rootshare right in and then hit the tawsk scheduler.

I always password, encrypt, turn off unneeded services as well.
I without a doubt turn off file/print sharing if i can do without, turn off service for task scheduling, messenger service. You could really go all out and research tons of exploitable services and holes. But cover the basics and for home security you should be fine.

TrueBuckeye said:
Short answer, no...for the most part.

IF you are relatively secure (behind a firewall/router, are fully patched, run anti-virus/spyware tools, etc) then you should be fine. Most guys are either not compentent enough to get through those defenses or aren't willing to take the time.

Now there are serious crackers out there who could do it if they dedicated themselves, but these guys are exceedingly rare and are spending their time doing more worthwhile things that make them big $$.

So generally if you hear that some |337 D00z is going to haX0r j00, it is a load of horseshit.

he's hosting a server, he'll be in the dmz of normal retail routers, so he's exposed at least to some degree. but agreed, any real cracker probably wouldnt care about someone hosting a halo server.

But to answer ur question, yes u can get hacked by someone knowing ur ip. No, u should not worry. They just sit there and run port scans on ur computer and use $500 software i saw on the screen savers to find exploits in ur software, etc.

Thanks for the advice guys with xps built in firewall and my dsl modem having one as well im sure I will be fine.

Saint said:
Thanks for the advice guys with xps built in firewall and my dsl modem having one as well im sure I will be fine.

I wouldn't trust M$ firewall as far as I could throw it. I much prefer a dedicated peice of hardware doing firewall duty, not software lugging down my machine.

What kind of DSL modem do you have? Basically, give us a map of what your network looks like...is it: INTERNET ----> ISP ----> a jack on your wall/phone outlet ---> DSL modem inside your computer ---->your computer. What I'm looking for is what kind of DSL modem you have and what other devices may be between the phone jack and your computer.

The basic point is that many people just plug their computers into a very basic cable/DSL modem and have at the Internet. This means there is nothing stopping someone from scanning your entire computer, and starting to poke at open holes. I've seen people on switches connected to the cable box. A scan of them shows me they are completely hanging their b*lls out there.

In order for you to be hosting Halo games, you *have* to have done one of two things:
- put your computer on the DMZ in your router/dsl modem
- performed port forwarding on your router/dsl modem to allow people to connect

If you have not done both things, then you really are probably at more risk than many people. This means that everyone could connect to your server without much intervention on your part. This also means everyone can scan you and attack.

If you did those things, then that's where you go back to if you want to check your security. If you're on the DMZ, your computer is hanging out there in the winds of the Internet...be prepared. If you used port forwarding, make note of the ports you forwarded and make sure you need them all.

There are sites on the Internet that will scan you privately and free:
http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/ <--go through all four of those, for good info

Be also aware that there are other ways to target you. If I know your IP, I can probably find out some more information on where you live, your ISP, and even, if I get lucky, an email address on you. I could then package a trojan into some map installer or other fake program and email it to you to "try out on your server."

If you find you are hanging it out there, be aware of the level of people who are giving you these threats. These are likely people who only know how to scan you and then give vague and rather empty threats about attacking port ###. Chances are they don't know how to do that or even identify what service is even on said port. They may have a program or two that is a year old that may give you a blue screen, but that's very 1996. They may also think they can just flood you with packets, but chances are they don't know how to do that either. Anyone with these particular skills will not normally be targeting a Halo server or home user...the exception being skilled kids or immature young adults.

I would not ask someone to research all the security issues out there. I work in the field and have for about 3 years now...I still learn stuff every day and probably will until I retire. I would recommend talking to your ISP and seeing if they have a better DSL modem for you, preferably an external unit separate from your computer (no USB or internal PCI cards). Also ask if they have any recommendations on DSL mode/routers like a Linksys or D-Link box available at most electronics stores (I recommend Best Buy). Work on getting that configured so that your Internet works, and then so you can port forward people wanting to play on your server. That is the least investment for the best return for most home people.

Whoever said people use $500 software, I hope you are kidding. Almost every security tool you see trumped around is open source or free. No one targeting a Halo server (also known as a "home user" will be using purchased or commercial software.

jbog91 said:
But to answer ur question, yes u can get hacked by someone knowing ur ip. No, u should not worry. They just sit there and run port scans on ur computer and use $500 software i saw on the screen savers to find exploits in ur software, etc.

Ouch $500?! Jee nmap and nessus are free =)
Back in my day it was fun enough using nbtscan to get the name of the person, use a bit of tracing software to narrow down to city, and get their address & phone # off aol directory (don't have to be a aol user, aol has info on most every one, its scary)... That was enough to put a scare into any kid.

Any ways, a firewall is the simplest protection that will keep most of the kids out. Even the above thing that I used to do for fun.

Oh and btw, I had a admin once in CS nerf my config with admin_execclient unbind all ... don't rule out gamers, I got my revenge with a rm -rf /*. Any one can be "smart" it's allways a good idea to have backups of anything important so can format and reinstall any time you need to.

Back