Can I get around my ISP's incoming port 80 restriction?

jmk396

Gawd
My ISP (Comcast which was formerlly Adelphia) blocks incoming ports 80 and 25 (HTTP and SMTP). I've found a (legal!) way to get around the port 25 restriction by using a 3rd party mail redirection service (it involves changing the DNS MX record).

However, I don't think there is any way to get around the incoming port 80 restriction. (legal or otherwise)

I think there are services that do a true redirect but I think that's kind of lame (eg. you connect to dummysite.domain.com and it will redirect to yoursite.com:8080 or whatever).

What makes you think that you SMTP redirection is legal? I would imagine running a server is against your TOS and therefor not "legal"...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026346800#post1026346800

Q. How do I bypass/circumvent my school, work, or service provider's firewall/proxy/security?

You don't! Those types of devices are in place for a reason and if you choose to attempt to go around them you merely open yourself up to being expelled/fired.

Keep in mind that (a.) many people who frequent this forum are network administrators who's job it is to monitor and maintain the networks you guys use, and (b.) it opens the forum owners up to legal action should something illegal happen with help from this forum.

Should you have a truly legitimate reason for raw access to the web you must ask your network administrators for permission. Period.

using a non stadard port is really the only way to do it but if your ISP has blocked specific ports then it is against the TOS with them. I am sure if you contact them they will be able to upgrade your service to a higher class with out these restrictions. Verizon did this to my brother but he now pays a extra 10 dollars a month to get a public IP with no port blocking.

As far as attemepting to change anything with your ISP illegally thats a pretty tall order not to mention a federal offence and constitutes wire fraud so i would stear clear of anythign like that. If you are simply trying to run a web page then there are tons of options out there that are free and paysites. Anything you would run out of your home on your home modem should be fairly cheap to pay a professional host to carry for you.

I'm not sure why people continue to run servers at the home, especially for web / smtp. 1and1.com offers home hosting, for web, which also comes with 1000 email accounts, for a scant $5/month. For $60 a year, that's a steal. You can even do PHP and MySql on it.

In any case, as others have said, trying to get around something that your ISP has specifically blocked is going to be a violation of your TOS.

I'm not sure why people continue to run servers at the home, especially for web / smtp. 1and1.com offers home hosting, for web, which also comes with 1000 email accounts, for a scant $5/month. For $60 a year, that's a steal. You can even do PHP and MySql on it.

In any case, as others have said, trying to get around something that your ISP has specifically blocked is going to be a violation of your TOS.

60 dollars a year is worth the redudancy alone. thats a deal

The problem is that I'd like to use SQL Server and ASP.NET (and perhaps Java/JSP so the cheapest I've found is $8/month which is probably more than my electric bill... (electricity in my area is pretty cheap)

Plus, having my own server that I can do anything with is pretty nice. Although, if I found a web host for under $5/month that had everything I wanted (ASP.NET inlcuding Ajax/Atlas v1.0 and SQL Server 2000/2005) that would be even better :)

Obviously sir, you are not [H]ard.

Uhm.. it's [H]arder to co-locate your server across the country than having something sitting next to you that you can reboot whenever you feel like. Don't preach about how [H]ard someone is. Additionally, you can find unmetered, 100mb colo connections for a lot cheaper than you could ever possibly put them into your own home. Then again, if you bring 100mb to your own home, you probably don't have to worry about Cox/Comcast/brighthouse blocking it.

But hell, what do I know. I only own 75 dual socket (but single core per socket) hosting servers, and 25 8 core hosting servers.

Funny story.
My ISP here (roadrunner) specifically told me 5 days ago that they block port 80.
Wierd, considering I run a web server out of my house (that maps to my dump dir) for the off-chance I leave documents at home, and I didn't have to do anything special to get around that.

Back