Can i fix this fan or do i need a new PSU?

If I have a PSU that's out of warranty that needs a new fan, I just open it up and replace the fan.

What do you have to lose?

Just make sure you don't touch the caps or anything with your screwdriver, etc. You may want to unplug the PSU from the wall before unplugging the ATX connector from the board to help discharge the caps, but if you have a little PSU tester like the Powmax or Ultra units, you might want to plug one of those into the power supply while you're working on it. I just don't want you to get shocked or anything.

hmm i guess i could replace the fan. but it may be more complicated since its a 120 MM with adjustable speed but i doubt it.

anyone now how long the warrenty is for Fortron PSUs or if newegg has a warrenty i can use? The PSU is about a year and half old. Thanks

Why is it more complicated because it's a 120MM?

In fact.. it's EASIER because the fan is attached to the cover that you're removing. It not attached to the half of the power supply that all of the other guts are attached to.

That and the speed control is on the power supply. Not the fan itself. So the fact that it's speed control is really a moot point.

If a powersupply has been unplugged for two months, do I still have to worry about the caps?

Will wearing rubber gloves save me?

I have a PSU with a dead back fan and I need to replace it cause I don't wanna send it back.

MTBAIRD...have you replaced yours yet?

Tiny said:
If a powersupply has been unplugged for two months, do I still have to worry about the caps?

Will wearing rubber gloves save me?

I have a PSU with a dead back fan and I need to replace it cause I don't wanna send it back.

MTBAIRD...have you replaced yours yet?
If the PSU is attached to a mobo, unplugg the PSU from the wall & push the front "power-on" button.

Rubber gloves are always nice, just be careful with metal tools.

It has been unplugged for two months. Just sitting in a box.

Time to go see if I can change my hair-do with one slip of a screw driver. :D

it shouldnt be that difficult

just a matter of opening the psu, disconnecting the fan from the PSU(you may have to cut the wires). Getting a new fan of the same size and voltage. Cutting off the molex connector from the new fan. now solder the new fan back to either the quick connect or the wires you cut. Making sure you identify which is the 12v and which is the Ground.

and thats it

I got the steps down, it is just that I have never soldered before.

Back