Can I Firmware Upgrade EVO via OS X?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Can the Samsung EVO 500GB SSD be patched / upgraded from OS X? The drive is attached via SATA ---> USB 3.0 but I can also attach the drive as a slave where my optical drive used to be. Point is the SSD is not my boot/system drive but all I have available to me is OS X. Is there any options? All the guides and sites require Windows.

Just off memory I think they said they *would* make a tool for Linux and OS X users but I do not know if that ever happened.

I've put Evo's inside both of my 2014 iMacs (bought the kit from iFixit, cut the monitor off, installed drive, put new sticky stuff on) and I also upgraded the CPU to an i7...but that's another story.

I attempted to update the firmware using EVERY available tool (created USB boot drives, used their downloable ISO, used CD-rom boot discs, etc.) and NOTHING would work. For whatever reason, the drive cannot be accessed from the UEFI on a system with Mavericks or Yosemite, at least I could never get it to work. The firmware updater Samsung supplies would see the drive, it would start the update, then just hang indefinitely or stop working all together.

I finally had to resort to cutting my monitor off again and buying new foam sticky strips and pulling the drives to update on my windows machine. Totally sucked....

The USB drivers in Mac OS X are rather limiting, when it comes to using external devices, like hard drives. You're best off throwing it in a PC with a SATA interface to do the updating. Everyone has a friend or family member that at least has a bobo pc.

Back