• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can I expect problems using SATA and IDE Drives?

Darknyt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
400
Question: (specs in sig)
I basically want to get some deep storage for dvd editing and have the opportunity to trade in my 80gb and pick up a bigger drive.

I'm thinking of adding a nice big SATA drive.
I already have 2 cd-roms and 2 hard drives connected.

I'm actually trading my smaller IDE 80gb drive back in for full credit to get a larger SATA drive so I would only have 1 IDE hard drive.

Can I expect any conflicts as long as the SATA drives are enabled in the bios?

Also - I have the option of getting 2 cheap IDE 160gb drives instead of a SATA - but that would be 5 IDE devices (2 optical, 3 hard drives). Is there any way to do that except to add a controller card?


I'm really not sure of all the possible conflicts I might experience and would like to try to minimze any crisis.

Thanks!
 
You shouldnt have any trouble adding a SATA drive, just install whatever drivers you need and be sure they are enabled in the bios. After that, they are the same as any ide drive. As for the 5 IDE drives, I know my Abit board came with a converter to hook up an ide drive to a sata port. other than that, you would need a controller to hook up a 5th ide drive
 
MetsFan978 said:
You shouldnt have any trouble adding a SATA drive, just install whatever drivers you need and be sure they are enabled in the bios. After that, they are the same as any ide drive. As for the 5 IDE drives, I know my Abit board came with a converter to hook up an ide drive to a sata port. other than that, you would need a controller to hook up a 5th ide drive

Nice - a SATA-to-IDE converter. I'll have to check and see if my Asus came with that. Does using that converter limit the drive in any way?

And are these converters available 3rd party or do they pretty much have to be provided by the mobo manufacturer.
 
I doubt using the converter will slow the drive down, sata is faster than ide. There might be a slight delay in converting the signla, but it won't be noticeable. The only time I've ever seen these is with my NF7-S, but you should be able to find them somewhere.
 
3rd party. Get you a few of these , and pipe the two 160's through your SATA ports.
 
Back
Top