Can I do this with Sysprep?

2FAST4U

Weaksauce
The motherboard in my friends PC died, so I replaced it with a new motherboard and CPU, but XP locks up when trying to load drivers for his old motherboard. The old motherboard was based on a VIA chipset and the new one has an Intel chipset, so XP locks up. I havent really used Sysprep before, so I don't know if this can fix the problem. Can Sysprep be run from the recovery console? What commands would I need to use? Thanks in advance for any help.

I may be wrong here, but I think it's too late to run Sysprep, since you already moved the hard drive over. You can first try to boot in safe mode and remove all old drivers. If that doesn't work, try booting from the XP CD and running a repair install. It's a good idea to use the same service pack level CD as was installed on the hard drive.

Safe mode also locks up, as it also tries to load the motherboard drivers. I'm not sure which service pack the was installed at the time. I have a MiniPE variant that I can use to start the PC.

Yep, too late for sysprep. Run a repair install (slipstream SP2 on the disk) make sure to re-patch after the repair.

Best option..
E:\Format /Q C: ----> Reinstall a clean Windows.

Back