can i do this with my printer?

wayne

2[H]4U
hey i have a small problem and im just gonna ask it directly to save time

right now i have a canon bjc-210 bubble jet printer. my whole family has been using that so to save on ink, i bought myself another bottle of ink to continue refilling it but recently, i just bought myself a lexmark Z517 and i find it really easy to use and simple and i figure i might take it to college if it doesnt break by then. however, im running low on ink.

heres the question: can i use the ink i bought for the canon to refill the ink cartridge for the lexmark? they're pretty much the same i think

if you guys are wondering, yes i already have the ink refill kits for both cartridges and i have a lot of experience in using it, so thats not a worry at all

note* the canon printer uses the ink cartridge Canon BC-02, and the lexmark uses Lexmark 17

THANKS ;)

Are they both the same type of cartridge? As in, do they sepearte the ink in the same way? If so, they i'd say sure, why not.

Of course, i'm no expert here. Worst thing that could happen is the color on stuff you print isn't quite right.

hegulator said:
Are they both the same type of cartridge? As in, do they sepearte the ink in the same way? If so, they i'd say sure, why not.

Of course, i'm no expert here. Worst thing that could happen is the color on stuff you print isn't quite right.
well, what do u mean by separating the ink in the same way?

and if color on stuff i print isnt right, can i just adjust the tone or color by doing the alignment test or color test thingy?

now that you mentioned it, what IS the worst thing that could happen?

I would be willing to bet that it isn't possible. Probably for one of two reasons: There might be a difference between bubble jet and inkjet ink (probably just the viscosity, but it could cause problems.

Second the tones of the inks probably aren't exactly the same. If you don't print color, no biggie. If you do print color pictures or something, the colors will probably not be quite right. The calibration page that you print out only makes sure that the drops of ink land where they are supposed to, it doesn't adjust the color profile at all (unless the canon test page is different.) You could probably get away with color calibrating the printer. That would use a program which costs money, and you have to compare that to getting another bottle of ink.

TheTMan said:
I would be willing to bet that it isn't possible. Probably for one of two reasons: There might be a difference between bubble jet and inkjet ink (probably just the viscosity, but it could cause problems.

Second the tones of the inks probably aren't exactly the same. If you don't print color, no biggie. If you do print color pictures or something, the colors will probably not be quite right. The calibration page that you print out only makes sure that the drops of ink land where they are supposed to, it doesn't adjust the color profile at all (unless the canon test page is different.) You could probably get away with color calibrating the printer. That would use a program which costs money, and you have to compare that to getting another bottle of ink.
well the canon is only black ink but the lexmark is color, although i usually print black from the lexmark. even if it would distort the color, it can print color without the black cartridge

but thats not that much of a big deal, i just need to know if black canon ink would be okay to refill into lexmark 17 cartridges, regardless of the color tone.

im thinking that, like, since ink is ink, and as long as the cartridge can release ink nicely, then it would be okay, right? anybody? :confused:

Just do it cause your just waiting for someone to say it will work when most have said no heh...do it, kill them ;)
I know it wont work cause I have attempted it in the past.

Canon
epson
Lexmark
Hp
Brother
Panisonic

All have very different inks that flow at different rates and what not. Take a look at canon ink...its really watery.../thin. Epson is the same but not cause they have a acid in there ink and there inkheads are on the machine themselfs.
Hp, thick ink. Have you ever noticed you print with epson and its water proof but try that with hp and its a runny mess?

I'm just trying to save you from wasting your time.
Take care and gl! :cool:

coffee33 said:
Just do it cause your just waiting for someone to say it will work when most have said no heh...do it, kill them ;)
I know it wont work cause I have attempted it in the past.

Canon
epson
Lexmark
Hp
Brother
Panisonic

All have very different inks that flow at different rates and what not. Take a look at canon ink...its really watery.../thin. Epson is the same but not cause they have a acid in there ink and there inkheads are on the machine themselfs.
Hp, thick ink. Have you ever noticed you print with epson and its water proof but try that with hp and its a runny mess?

I'm just trying to save you from wasting your time.
Take care and gl! :cool:
alright, i think imma give it a try. just for experimental purposes

but what do u think may be the worst that can happen? and how would i fix it?

is there any way to like "wash out" the insides of the cartridge if the refill ink doesnt work?

wayne said:
alright, i think imma give it a try. just for experimental purposes

but what do u think may be the worst that can happen? and how would i fix it?

is there any way to like "wash out" the insides of the cartridge if the refill ink doesnt work?

You would probably just screw up the cartridge. If you screw it up, for the love of god quit being so cheap and buy a new cartridge, and then get some ink *meant to be used in that cartridge*. Its just an old school HP cartridge.

TheTMan said:
for the love of god quit being so cheap and buy a new cartridge, and then get some ink *meant to be used in that cartridge*.

That pretty much sums things up there. Those print heads aren't made to be used indefinitely, that's one of the reasons that they come on the disposable part of the printer and are not a built-in feature.

Ravenrex said:
That pretty much sums things up there. Those print heads aren't made to be used indefinitely, that's one of the reasons that they come on the disposable part of the printer and are not a built-in feature.
true but what sucks is that my cartridges cost me more than the printer did

im only asking this out of curiosity. and ill probably try it out of curiosity too

Back