can i do anything with this logitech z-680 sub?

CrypticInsight

Weaksauce
so my brother has a set of the z-680 media speakers (almost identical to their digital one out now), and it has the 8" sub. there was something wrong with the channels on the sub (it wasn't producing any sound out to the front left) and logitech determined to send a replacement. all they asked for was the control box, and upon receiving that, they gave us a whole new system and we got to keep the old one (minus the control box)....my question is, i have here a completely workable sub, and it seems to be a shame for it to just sit here. is there anyway i can use it??....if ur familiar with the sub, u'll know that it only has the connectors to tie in speakers, and the "vga-like" (same pin setup) controller connector. any ideas?

;)
sub.jpg

TheExile said:
5.2 system? :p
ccotenj said:
it'd make a pretty good doorstop... :p

Gawd you people are mean!!! Funny, but MEAN.

How comfortable are you with disassembling the current control box? You could figure out which pins are for the audio being passed to the sub, power and the channels and make your own control box. Or order a new control box from Logitech.

i would love to know to as I'm in the same situation. How would you get just a subwoofer working?

TheExile said:
5.2 system? :p
This brings up a hiiiiilarious story. i went to fry's one day to see what i could do with this sub, and a brainy fry's guy there was all "oh it's like a vga connector."...Conveniently, there was the z-680 speakers plugged into one of their gaming systems for show, so he took a look at it and brought back a vga splitter (y-adapter). His idea was to split the signal from the control pod, and send it to the 2 subs....and then he wanted to try it out :D. just to see if the signal would pass through the splitter, he connect the pod to it and then to the back of the sub (leaving one open for another sub to be added). hahhahahaha..... the whole backend burst into flames!! it was great.... he freaked out, and then tried to blame me when his manager showed up. yeah right! i aint paying for his stupidity! maybe he should of unplugged the power to the sub. idk...maybe then it might of worked?? anywaze, it's one of those "u had to of been there" moments." :)

LMAO.
Nice story. :)

Let's try this in the electronics section.

I would suggest that you salvage the heatsinks and possibly the transformer.....trash the rest of the electronics.
Make a new back for the cabinet and simply install a cheap plate amp or built your own plate amp from the parts you salvaged. :)

The_Mage18 said:
Gawd you people are mean!!! Funny, but MEAN.

How comfortable are you with disassembling the current control box? You could figure out which pins are for the audio being passed to the sub, power and the channels and make your own control box. Or order a new control box from Logitech.

:) yeah i figured i could use it to make a 5.2 system. that was my idea, but as for me being comfortable about taking the control box apart, i have close to zero knowledge in circuitry, let alone making my own control box....:D that wouldn't stop me from trying or learning how to though! except it's my brother's system, so i doubt he wants me taking apart his system with no experience. lol, it didn't even dawn on me that i could order another control box. u must be able to though, incase u break ur own or sumthing.

If you're good at circuit tracing, you could probably trace out the circuit and find out which pin does what. From there you might be able to find a way to power it on and feed a signal in for an additional subwoofer.

Back