Can I Connect My Macbook Pro to My PC to help run Final Cut Pro X?

Ltor

Limp Gawd
So I play games and capture on my pc rig that folks here helped me build. But I like to edit video with Final Cut Pro X. Problem is two fold: Takes real long to transfer footage from pc to macbook pro and two, my macbook pro is from 2008 and barely runs Final Cut Pro X as it is. Anyway to connect the two to transfer files quicker and use the pc's processing power for background rendering?

1. you can direct connect them via ethernet to transfer files faster
2. mmmm no

1. you can direct connect them via ethernet to transfer files faster
2. mmmm no

I have a server that I just upload files to via filezilla and then download on the other computer might be a bit slower then Ethernet but it's easier then fussing with a cable. So theres no way I can use my pc for background rendering somehow? I wish I could just install another HDD ont his computer that runs osx and would allow me to use FCP X on this rig!

I have a server that I just upload files to via filezilla and then download on the other computer might be a bit slower then Ethernet but it's easier then fussing with a cable. So theres no way I can use my pc for background rendering somehow? I wish I could just install another HDD ont his computer that runs osx and would allow me to use FCP X on this rig!

Are you uploading these files to a local server or one on the internet? :confused:

So your going from the pc to the internet then to the macbook? Why not just create a share and copy the files over locally?

You should have a couple of firewire ports (a 400 and a 800). Even transferring to an external drive should be faster.

You actually CAN do distributed encoding.

Uses available capacity in other cores and other computers to make encoding go faster. You can now designate computers as encoding nodes without opening an additional application. To get started, install Compressor on your own Mac or any other Mac on your network and activate it as a node for distributed encoding.

You need Compressor 4. It looks like it's just for Macs though - no windows.

Last edited:
That's the worst solution you could possibly have and you're complaining about an ethernet cable?

how fast can an Ethernet cable transfer data? I've tried connecting one before but it must not have been the right kind for that.

how fast can an Ethernet cable transfer data? I've tried connecting one before but it must not have been the right kind for that.
It's not as insta-magic as USB.

1 - You'll need to get both PCs on the same network - probably easy if you have a router or something handing out DHCP addressing.
2 - You'll need to create a share on the computer you're pulling or pushing files to
3 - You'll need to connect to that share from the other computer.

Assuming you are using Gigabit around 100MB/s a lot faster than uploading and redownloading from the internet...

Assuming you are using Gigabit around 100MB/s a lot faster than uploading and redownloading from the internet...

now he thinks the cable gives him faster upload/download to the internet, and unless he has Fios and 802.11b, isn't the case...

OP, you need to network your PC and mac directly... transfers between your computers will go considerably faster... even without a "wired cable"

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-easily-share-files-across-mac-windows-computers/

I'm not trolling and cooper I understand i'm connecting the two computers directly. What I meant was that I thought you couldn't just connect any old Ethernet cord and that you needed one that has that capability.

actually Ltor, you shouldn't even need to use an Ethernet cord to speed things up considerably...

instead look into using your wireless network to transfer the files directly between your two computers instead of uploading/downloading from the internet... that will automatically make things CONSIDERABLY faster (see the link i posted)

after that, you can try using an ethernet cord to connect your mbp directly to your (i'm assuming) wireless router to make it EVEN FASTER, but just transferring from one share to another on your local network is going to make a world of difference

and no, pretty much any normal "network ethernet cord" you buy at any store (or online) is going to be fine for your uses...

we really would need more information about your current network before giving any more detailed help...

You should have a couple of firewire ports (a 400 and a 800). Even transferring to an external drive should be faster.

You actually CAN do distributed encoding.

You need Compressor 4. It looks like it's just for Macs though - no windows.

In theory you could run OSX VMs on linux/windows and then run this although this is not supported/against the OSX eula. Alternatively you could boot into OSX via a hackintosh method on the PC and then use compressor.

Why not just transfer the files to an external hard drive from the PC, copy it to the Macbook Pro, edit it then upload it to the net from the MBP?

Back