Can I change the default option when I go to shut down my machine in Vista

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
When I go to start, and choose the shut down option. It brings up the window with all the options. Like Sleep, restart, etc.

Sleep is always the first one. Can I change that so that restart is first?

That button does not do that like in XP.
You can program it to do what you want. Shut down, Sleep, whatever.

But it doesn't bring up a menu anymore (at least on any of the Vista machines I have ever seen). If you click the little arrow to the right you get options like Restart, Sleep, and Shut Down.

I dont use the new vista start menu. I chose the classic menu.

And that brings up the box to choose what you want to do. And it defaults to sleep. I want it to always come up as restart or shutdown.

I dont use the new vista start menu. I chose the classic menu.

And that brings up the box to choose what you want to do. And it defaults to sleep. I want it to always come up as restart or shutdown.

Using the new start menu, you can change the default behavior in the Power Options control panel. That might also change which choice comes first in the classic menu...

Using the new start menu, you can change the default behavior in the Power Options control panel. That might also change which choice comes first in the classic menu...

I will check and see if that will change it. thanks for the reply..

Control Panel>Power Options>Change plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings>Expand Power Buttons and Lid>Expand Start Menu Option

Done :)

Back