Can I build an external RAID 1 array?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
I need a RAID 1 array for backup, at least 3TB of useable capacity, but I'd prefer if it were external so that nothing that I can move it around and wouldn't have to set it up again when building a new PC, as well as for overall safety.

There are several 6TB-8TB dual-HDD external drives, but even if I get RAID 1 working on them, they're far too expensive for some reason.

So, is there some way to build my own dual-drive enclosure? And if not, can I RAID 1 two external drives both in their own external enclosures?

Thanks!
 
Use the builtin OS raid. I know this works on linux and I suspect that it should also work on windows.

A second option may be SnapRAID with 1 data disk and 1 parity disk although I have never tested it with only 1 data disk. In theory this should work and with the checksums it should be better than raid1.
 
Last edited:
I once had an MD raid5 running on USB 2.0 drives. :) It was slow on a whole new unexplored level of slowness.

Go eSATA if you can (less overhead than USB3) and use the OS raid1 functions as mentioned before.
 
Back
Top