Can I build a virtually SILENT/COOL Gaming PC in the SG13?

Asianic

n00b
I've compiled a list of the parts I'll be getting and looking for critique/advice based on what I really need. The few goals I had in mind were --

* Cheap
* SILENT (Extremely **Anal**)
* LOW-TEMPS (Extremely **Anal**)

I'm a student on a low budget so I really can't go any higher with a few exceptions. I live in California and my room can get sort of hot and humid. I also like to go on my computer at night and don't want to wake anyone up, so it has to be really quiet.

Tasks I had in mind were :

* CS:GO
* Overwatch
* Light Video editing/Photoshop
* Schoolwork

Here's what I have so far!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI H110I PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Other: Silverstone SST-SG13WB ($45.00)
Total: $45.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-16 14:32 EDT-0400

Regarding the SSD and M.2, I kept those from my previous build and got them both for free.

One thing I still need is a 140/120mm fan.

**What is the best SILENT/COOL fan for the SG13?**
Someone recommended me the NF-S12A fit specifically for my needs, but I'm unsure overall.
Along with that, someone also notified me that the EVGA 1060 SC had sound issues when the fan started up and I should go with the asus one instead.

Please help me!!
Thank you so much everyone!!!

if you want a (more) silent build, you should get the one with the plastic front...

if you want better temps, you should get the one with mesh in the front...

i own the one with the mesh front, tried 140 and 120 fans, and both of them are silent enough...

the noisier part of my build is the gpu... which is not loud at all...

my build: evga 980 ti kingpin (cooler=noisy: silent=hot), a i7 3700k paired with a C7 cooler (can't hear it at all...) and a 750w silverstone strider psu 120mm fan (super silent)

Resuming... your build if fine, my advise is:

Get an aftermarket gpu (i know you will already), avoid reference (blower style is noisy)

Get the plastic front sugo sg13 case, if you are a silence freak... forget the temps, they wont't be an issue...

PRO TIP: if you can get the case away from you in your desk, the less noise you will hear ;);)

if you want a (more) silent build, you should get the one with the plastic front...

if you want better temps, you should get the one with mesh in the front...

i own the one with the mesh front, tried 140 and 120 fans, and both of them are silent enough...

the noisier part of my build is the gpu... which is not loud at all...

my build: evga 980 ti kingpin (cooler=noisy: silent=hot), a i7 3700k paired with a C7 cooler (can't hear it at all...) and a 750w silverstone strider psu 120mm fan (super silent)

Resuming... your build if fine, my advise is:

Get an aftermarket gpu (i know you will already), avoid reference (blower style is noisy)

Get the plastic front sugo sg13 case, if you are a silence freak... forget the temps, they wont't be an issue...

PRO TIP: if you can get the case away from you in your desk, the less noise you will hear ;);)

I see, thank you so much for your reply!
I haven't heard a reasonable answer on Reddit or any response at all yet.
I think I'll be going with the plastic front, however I think I value cooler temps more than silence but I absolutely want to have both. I work in my bedroom and my previous PC made the room sort of hot.
If the temps were an issue, what should I do? Fans are the only option.

Also regarding the aftermarket GPU, which is better single fan or dual fan?

Well... first of it all, there's a single law that you can't avoid... COOLER=NOISY SILENT=HOT....

of course you can tweak components, but the fact is that there's always a trade-off... you can underclock your cpu and gpu...(lower temps and noise, but lower performance as well...)

The more fans the better! just as a reminder, remember that (without modding) the sugo sg13 can fit gpu up to 10,5 inches wide (11 inches by modding, like in my case)

I work in my bedroom and my previous PC made the room sort of hot.

Think about this... all the temperature your pc is building up will warm up your room, that's because the fans are getting all the heat out...

if you crank up the fans to get better temps, maybe your pc will get cooler, but all that temperature has to go somewhere... you guess right, your room...

The i3 6100 isn't a particularly hot running CPU. That cooler will be able to manage that fine. The SF450 will likely not even ever spin up based on your gear. My SF450 only starts up after about 30mins into a game and this is with a 1070 and 4690k OC'd.

Consider a 140mm fan as they typically push more air at a lower RPM than 120mm fans for your intake.

The EVGA 1060 SC was rated as very silent with the single fan model as is. I don't think you can go wrong with that and it'll be a nicer fit IMO. I believe newer ones (or with a bios update) support 0 db mode as well.

See:

Review: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 11

(Note the above applies to the 6gb, not sure about 3gb?)

For reference, though, i'm a silence nut for my computer too, and I can barely hear it at all in idle, and can hear a small hum/some fan noise whilst heavy gaming but I'm putting out a fair bit more heat as well with 2 120mm fans intaking, 2 GPU fans, 1 92mm exhaust, 2 92mm on the cooler + my GPU fan.

I think your choices so far are pretty solid and just grab a 140mm fan for intake.

Also depends what you consider to be good temps. that i3 won't get particularly hot IMO anyway so I don't think it's really an issue. The 1060 will likely sit around 75 degrees in that case?

I see, thank you so much for your reply!
I haven't heard a reasonable answer on Reddit or any response at all yet.
I think I'll be going with the plastic front, however I think I value cooler temps more than silence but I absolutely want to have both. I work in my bedroom and my previous PC made the room sort of hot.

Just because one case/cooler combo keeps your i3 6100 at 40C and another at 50C, it doesn't mean the heat just disappeared in the first scenario. If you want a cooler room, buy more efficient parts and/or live with lower wattage/lower power parts. There's no other way around it.

Just because one case/cooler combo keeps your i3 6100 at 40C and another at 50C, it doesn't mean the heat just disappeared in the first scenario. If you want a cooler room, buy more efficient parts and/or live with lower wattage/lower power parts. There's no other way around it.

Hmm I see, what should I change regarding efficiency and lower wattage parts?

You can't lower wattage without sacrificing performance. The i3 6100 is already a relatively low powered chip in terms of power draw. The GTX 1060 isn't a huge power hungry unit either.

The only other thing you could consider is look at the GTX 1050 Ti when it arrives which should run on Board power for reference models, but I expect performance just above the 960? Vs the 980 style performance of the 1060. Fair drop.

I think you're about as efficient you can go without substantial loss in performance.

Hmm I see, what should I change regarding efficiency and lower wattage parts?

Besides lowering total system power (losing performance) you should also check your monitor out and see how much wattage it uses. After a couple of hours does the monitor casing on the back feel cool to the touch or very warm? If warm, that's another place you could cut more power.

I also neglected to consider undervolting components. That might be another possibility.

With a Heavy OC my 1060 6GB doesn't breach 70C. I highly recommend it. Almost any i5 or i3 will not be very hot at stock temps.

That cryorig is not silent - not even close. Silence and low temps do not go hand-in-hand.

That cryorig is not silent - not even close. Silence and low temps do not go hand-in-hand.
Can sometimes, but correct my GPU sits at 79 degrees (bigger/open air would see it at low 70s) and my CPU at 60-70 gaming due to the tiny heatsink/small space with low RPM fans everywhere.

TBH I think the stock coolers for intel are actually fairly quiet... Lol. They just don't perform the best, but given the low power of the i3 I don't think it'll be a problem?

Back