• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can I bend a heatpipe?

petertew

Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
984
Hi guys,

I did a forum search but couldn't find any info, so I hope this isn't a repost.
Currently I have a SFF shuttle case (G4 Chassi), and I also have a geForce6800gt. Unfortunately my 6800gt is LOUD, and since the computer is in my room that's a bit of a problem. I recently found a really slick looking cooler that would run my 6800 cooler and quieter.

http://www.insanetek.com/review.php?id=11&page=2

unfortunately I also have a SBAudigy and I wouldn't be able to afix the heatsink with my soundcard installed. My question is this:

Can I bend the heatpipes roughly 90 degrees so as to fit the heatsink in my SFF case?

I was thinking I'd just head them up with a blowtorch or something and slowly bend them. Does this work or am I going to blow ~40.00? Also, has anyone here ever posted something about building your own heatpipe system? Or is there perhaps another way to quietly cool my 6800gt without having to resort to this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
 
I'm no pipebender, but every time I try to do something like this, I pinch the thing and kill it. If you have a jig and heat/bend slowly, and avoid pinching the pipes be using too much torque, it should work just fine when done. :) Think of them as you would car brake lines.
 
eh i wouldnt....bending a heatpipe takes quite a bit of force which would usually end up breaking or opening the vacuum sealed pipe somehow
 
Back
Top