Can I benchmark at a resolution higher than my monitor supports?

Yelnats

Limp Gawd
I am thinking about getting a 30" monitor, but I wanted to see how well my games run at the higher resolution. I can run windows XP with a scrolling desktop that is 2560x1600, but my games don't recognise that resolution. How can I fool my games into thinking I have a larger monitor?

I have an 8800gts and a dell 2007wfp.

I am thinking about getting a 30" monitor, but I wanted to see how well my games run at the higher resolution. I can run windows XP with a scrolling desktop that is 2560x1600, but my games don't recognise that resolution. How can I fool my games into thinking I have a larger monitor?

I have an 8800gts and a dell 2007wfp.

You can't.

You can do it but you wont see anything on the screen which defeats your point I think.

simple, go look on 3dmark 06 site and filter the results by your system specs. This should show you approximate peformance. Compare that to each demo's performance on the std setting and you should be able to figure out your approx fps on each.

If your card is hooked up digitally (via DVI) then you can enable digital flat panel scaling. What happens is that your graphics card will scale whatever resolution you pick, back down to your monitor's native, so that it can display it properly.

I think it's called "Nvidia scaling" in the control panel. The picture won't look like a high res, but the game will render internally at that resolution and so the performance should be on par. (There is a minor performance hit for the scaling option).

Hope that helps :)

Aggies

Back