can hardware cause vista ultimate to freeze?

chopstick

n00b
my new build is becoming a headache. trying to run vista ultimate 32 and it's not going well :(

new stuff :
P5N-E SLI
core 2 quad Q6600
ADATA DDR2 PC800 4Gbs

old hard drive, WD 2500JS, vid card EVGA 7600 GT, Benq dvd drive

after playing around with the voltage for the ram, I manage to get this thing to work. I can load up XP PRO fine now and been using it for a week or so. decided to try loading up vista and it alway freeze at the "starting windows for the first time " screen. I've even left it for 3 hours. it doesn't make a difference if it's a clean install or an upgrade. same problem.

someone suggested it might be the RAM. I tried it with my old PC 667 2 Gbs, but no luck.

anyone have any other ideas I can try?

thx

First thing I would try is resetting your BIOS to default settings.

And yes- hardware can cause any OS to freeze up (Although if it had ran in the past- most likely due to drivers).

What zacdl means is that there have been numerous reported cases (even on this forum) where the same hardware that works fine in XP won't work with Vista.

But this is done strictly purposedly by MS with your best interest in mind (I'm saving zacdl from writing another excuse post for Vista). And he's right - if it will make you stay away from it.

Back