Can get in Bios but nothing else...

Little help guys. I just did a quick build.....

i7 6700k,
MSI Krait 3x Mobo,
Captian 240 cooler,
Firecuda 1tb,
8gigs Team Dark 3200mhz,
Thermaltake Smart Series 700W Power Supply,
Phanteks p400 case (first started in a Deep Cool Dukas),
Installing Windows 7 atm but will upgrade to 10

I have had the Mobo RMA'ed twice because it would run ok and let me boot and install and such, then die. Not sure what the problem was. Now in a new case with a 3rd motherboard. At this point I am able to get into the bios. I can choose to boot from a DVD-rom drive but as soon as the windows logo comes up it restarts without doing anything. I used this thread and was able to get a little further (https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/11273-install-windows-7-safe-mode.html) I booted into the dvd in safe mode and was able to format the HD and start the install (done this a few times to hope it would work) Gets to the point where It cant carry on the install and asks for the restart. If i click OK it restarts but fails on the windows loading screen and restarts again. If I follow the rest of the steps and get to the device manager I am able to disable all the conflicts but the first USB controller on the list (it freezes up instantly). If I skip this one I can disable all the others but it will still hang on this one. Bad USB controller maybe?

I have also made a USB windows 10 installer with the Media Creation tool. It shows a black screen, then for a split second it has the swirling dots then it reboots.

Just to let you know everything I have tried thus far. I have tried removing ram and changing slots around. I have tried another working power supply. I have changed sata cables. I have changed from the sata-e ports to the regular sata ports. I have tried installing a video card to rule out the onboard video causing the problem. Im just at such a loss.

All I know is this PC has been a headache for about 5 months now with the RMA's and such.

Not sure what the problem is. For the love of everything ever please help me.

You have some shit going on there for sure.

Remove it from the case. Mount on a box on your desk. Have only the CPU, the GPU, one stick of RAM and a random spinning hard disk attached. Update BIOS to latest if required and load BIOS defaults. Run RAM test from a USB key on your single stick of RAM. If passes, try and install windows on the spinning disk the way it sits, on the desk.

If successful build up components one at a time until problem is found. At the end of it, if all all is working, try again on the SSD. If unsuccessful, since this is your third mobo and second PSU, it's time (and it's rare) to suspect the CPU.

I have done this today. I also took the hard drive and connected it to another pc and installed windows and it worked fine. I have installed each stick of ram one at a time in each slot with no help. To me it is pointing at the Motherboard again. So beyond pissed at this thing.

Edit: also flashed bios to latest version.

Is that RAM on the QVL?

Are you sure of the integrity of that Thermalfake Power Supply?

I am not sure of the integrity of the supply other than the fact that my ultra x4 power supply that is in the pc I am on atm did the same thing. As for the RAM QVL list. I havent even looked it up because I know other with the same kit on a different MSI board.

Iv had the same problem before. Found it was my motherboard. Carnt tell you what it was because I kind off got a little angry. Only a little bit..

Witch ended up me buying new mothboard. Best thing was treated myself to new case. 900d. Lol

All was ok with new board. .

If you manage to find the problem tho. It may save me a few hundred next time.

I have already RMA'ed the mobo a few times. Im on the 3rd one. It wouldnt be so bad but its not my pc, it was for a young family member and he was buying parts here and there starting right after Christmas. I have already had him buy a new case because I felt like the power switch on the case was shorting out the board (cheap junk case).

I have already RMA'ed the mobo a few times. Im on the 3rd one. It wouldnt be so bad but its not my pc, it was for a young family member and he was buying parts here and there starting right after Christmas. I have already had him buy a new case because I felt like the power switch on the case was shorting out the board (cheap junk case).

Well hope you get it sorted. And next time make family member. Buy all new stuff. Lol good luck

If you have another motherboard laying around, try it out - that's a long shot though, I know.

One way to accomplish that, which isn't the easiest: RMA this motherboard, don't open it and sell it once you get the return. Try different brand/model of motherboard.

Can also try booting to Memtest86 and run that for a bit, as well as a Live Linux boot image, see if the machine will boot the kernel there.

Sounds like a USB port is fried.

The mobo will need to be RMA'd again, unless you can disable the specific port in the bios (some mobos will).

I suspect your family member is plugging something dodgy into the usb port, and killing it...

Nothing has been plugged into it out of the normal. I dont think the usb port is fried. I think it is something else going on in the board.The pc wasnt freezing like I thought. It was disabling my keyboard and mouse and Im to dumb to notice. I pulled out a old PS2 keyboard and was able to disable all the usb controllers. It still wouldnt work for me.

Back