• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can CPU voltage mess with the GPU?

wingding

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
416
I'm having a dilemma. So shortly after getting my cpu I undervolted it and used Prime95 for many hours (I can't remember how many) to make sure it was stable. A few weeks later I bought a used 4890 and over the course of the next several months I had occasional issues with my screen (lines, improperly displayed pictures, etc.). Come to find out, my undervolt on the cpu was not stable, so I bumped the voltage back up on it and since then I have had no issues with my gpu. Can anyone explain this? Is there some mysterious link between cpu voltage and gpu display quality?
 
CPU feeds data to the GPU to render. If your CPU was sending out bad data, you can get visual artifacts.
 
Interesting, I guess I never really thought about that aspect. The other weird thing was that it never happened during gaming, just desktop related stuff.
 
Alot of GPU's use the 60Hz from your power. Alot of them have problems in countries where you only get 50 at best Hz. There can be data corruption between your cpu/gpu very easily. Your chipset can also screw that up.
 
So now that I "think" I have the problem fixed, what would be the best way to test it (the gpu). The errors were pretty random before, so does anyone have a surefire way to test a video card? Some way that will bring any problems right to the surface (if there are any)? I never had any issues when gaming before, it was just when doing desktop things or surfing the web.
 
Back
Top