Can computer audio damage hifi gear?

Skyblue

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
357
So, I have had a few amplifiers connected to my computers. And some of them "deteriorated in performance", for lack of other words.

What happened, was that they would loose sound in one channel, or at most make low noise. Then, when the connection was taken out and reinserted, there was a bang, and the 2nd channel came back again.

Now, I have a similar problem. My headphones are connected to a canamp. And after some time, the sound deteriorates, but turning the amp on and off solves the problem.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on? My knowledge of computers is mostly theoretical I'm affraid.
 
Were you unplugging/plugging while all the equipment was on? That's what I thought of when you said "bang", like a popping noise.
 
I don't think you should do that. Always turn off your equipment before you're making connections. My receiver manual also makes note of that point.
 
I don't think you should do that. Always turn off your equipment before you're making connections. My receiver manual also makes note of that point.

Well, everything is naturally turned off before I start. Computer and receiver is then turned on, but after a while the noise occurs. This noise dissapears after a reconnect and a pop. I suspect some kind of static electricity, but the computer is grounded (the amp isnt).

Anyway, the problem is real, with or without turning the equipment off before connecting.
 
Back
Top