Can CD/DVD rom data cable be 5' long with no speed loss?

thegreywizard

Limp Gawd
So I'm building a custom desk case and my computer is on the left and I would like to put the cd/dvd rom on the right.

This would make my cable run 5'

Ensourced Cables can make me power that long, but not data.

I know that with SSD/HDD you want the sata cable to be as short as possible for no speed loss

But is that the same for cd/dvd roms? Or will I be ok having this long of a data cable?

This is really the preferred way for me to build my setup.

these guys got 6' no prob(36"+36").
http://www.pcgamer.com/is-your-sata-cable-slowing-down-your-data-transfers-max-pc-investigates/

edit fixed length I misread and

"What about joining two 36-inch cables end-to-end using male-to-male connectors? That’s about 30-inches outside the SATA spec for cable length: No. Frakking. Difference. The only thing that stopped SATA dead in its tracks was running three 36-inch SATA cables end-to-end using cable No. 3, No. 4 and No 11. That’s nine feet of cables kids. Don’t try this at home!"

Interesting article. Thanks for the read.

Just goes to show that the cable doesn't necessarily make a difference, unless it's just a bad cable due to it being defective in some way, which does happen.

I personally would buy a slot loading USB DVD drive.

The Apple ones can be used in Windows when the driver is installed, but I am not sure if you can boot from a DVD with it on a PC.
IMG_0532.JPG

USB drives are a great suggestion, I didnt think of that before.

However my USB slots are pretty maxed out I think and I have a bunch of sata ports available so I would prefer sata still based on that, but I will look into who can make a solid 5' cable and go from there now that I know length even in sata shoudn't effect cd/dvd.

Back