• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Can anyone solve my black screen problem?

Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
20
I bought a msi p965 motherboard but it died on me twice, I also got a replacement psu because that was found to be faulty (which maybe killed the msi motherboard both times). Anyway I started again with a new psu and the asus p5n-e.

Installed the mobo with new psu and everything seemed fine. Except about 1 week after the install i was watching a movie and the screen went black, sound was still playing but i had to restart, windows said id had a serious error. This problem seems to happen randomly even when just browsing the internet. It even happened when I was reinstalling windows.

I have bios 0401 installed but i still seem to have the problem. All the settings on the BIOS are on default except for primary graphics adapter which i have set as PCI-E (it was set to PCI). I just bought cheap memory so dont know what settings I should have.

Any idea whats causing it? Could the old psu that failed have damaged the graphics card, so is this a graphics card problem? Could it be a CPU, RAM or motherboard problem? Or even the psu again? Someone suggested overheating but I think thats unlikely because nothing is overclocked and the problem sometimes happens after the PC has been on 5 mins and sometimes 24 hours.

If anyone could suggest any BIOS settings which i should change, or thinks they know what the problem is I would be very grateful. I bought this pc 3 months ago and it still doesnt work so im very upset :(

Thank you all
 
The memory is the first thing is would think could be causing your problems, run memtest for a while and see if you get any errors. If the memory tests out ok, I would swap out the video card and see what that does.
 
memtest says no errors, so i guess the next step is trying a different graphics card unless anyone else has an idea? dunno how im going to do that to be honest as I dont have another and none of my friends have a pci-e card. Shame i couldnt put my old AGP card in
 
Another possibility is the video card was damaged by the bad psu and now shows up after running for a period of time. You may have to purchase another video card or rma the one you have.
 
always get a backup, i bought an extra $22 PCIx card from newegg along with my 1900s for this very purpose. never know when they can come in handy, like now. 20 bucks well spent, ive already used it several times.
 
Try removing your RAM and plugging it back in. If doesnt work try cleaning your ram sticks.
 
Back
Top